MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Im about to buy a Rover, been looking for it for a while, and yesterday Ive found one Im intrested in, but still have a few questions.

Its "2000 Rover 25 1.4 IL" .... not sure what does "IL" stand for, but Im looking for one with 103 bhp, and I got a feeling its the 84 bhp version. Took it for a test drive, and it really didnt satisfy me with its performance, althou I didnt push it that hard - only up to 4000rpm since Ive had an owner on board - and comparing to my previous Vw Golf IV 1.6 16v (105 bhp) it felt .... slow. On the other hand I was told that this car really starts pushing forward over 4000rpm, so I guess I didnt see much yet ?!
Anyways ... could anyone tell me, how can I check which engine it has ? It has 16 valve - twin cam written on the engine cover, but apart from it I cant tell more .... perhaps "IL" will mean somthing ?

And the other thing .... the car is around 50.000 miles with not much of a service history , and the last owner (who had it for 6 months) didnt change anything apart from new brake disks ....
So is there anything I should really pay attention to? The car looks just fine I went to see it with my friend who is a mechanic and couldnt really find anything bad on it ....
One last thing ... it probably (the owner doesnt know) didnt have replaced timing belt yet.... was just wondering when do you usually change a timing belt on a Rover 25 ? How many miles, years ?

Thanks for your anserws .... just give me a hint, since Im suppose to call the owner tomorrow and let him know if I buy it or not, since he has other offers ...

·
Registered
274 Posts
i've got the 25 1.4 il 84ps, you can tell by looking at the vin plate on the passenger side front door, open the door and it's on the post between the front and back door, it says the make and model(rover 25) and derative(ithink that's how it spelt) (1.4 84ps) or (1.4 104ps) the only difference between the two is that the 84 is restricted, you can change this by repalcing the throttle body and the accelerator cable(longer cable) . i've not changed mine yet but it's one of the first changes i'm going to make .

my father in law has a 104 and it is much quicker than mine, so i say it's worth getting the car you are looking at if you are happy with everything else but the proformance....you can get that sorted like i said.

il is just the electric windows, sunroof and mirrors i think!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ...
Guess tomorrow Im gonna meet the owner again, and check the Vin nr. hope Ill see "1.4 104ps" sign on it ....

One more thing, maybe that will help :) I checked the insurance price for the car, knowing its licence plate, and I got a bit more detailed description of it ... "Rover 25, 1.4 i , 2000 IL" ..... perhaps "1.4 i" means anything ??

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Nope it could be 84 or 103 ps. If it is the lower powered 84 ps version then dont panic. A throttle body and throttle cable of the higher powered car will take it up to 103ps. And yes the engines power is high up the rev range. Below 3000rpm is rubbish really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rover_King said:
Nope it could be 84 or 103 ps. If it is the lower powered 84 ps version then dont panic. A throttle body and throttle cable of the higher powered car will take it up to 103ps. And yes the engines power is high up the rev range. Below 3000rpm is rubbish really.
Cheers mate.

Gonna find out tomorrow than ... anyways I like the car itself, is the conversion expensive ? (thinking Id have to get someone to do it for me, couse Im really not that good with cars ... everytime I try to fix smth. Im left with couple of parts which I cant fit anywhere , lol )

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
swatch said:
Cheers mate.

Gonna find out tomorrow than ... anyways I like the car itself, is the conversion expensive ? (thinking Id have to get someone to do it for me, couse Im really not that good with cars ... everytime I try to fix smth. Im left with couple of parts which I cant fit anywhere , lol )
from what I can gather most garages will do it for free/almost free its in getting something else done anyway, its really only a case of snipping off a bit of plastic :)

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Herzlos said:
from what I can gather most garages will do it for free/almost free its in getting something else done anyway, its really only a case of snipping off a bit of plastic :)
plus the throttle cable i believe, as the old one doest stretch that far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts