MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So my Rover 25 (Stepspeed auto) completely died yesterday, after driving it fine, I then stopped to go to the shop and then nothing, the engine never started, the lights came on fine but all I got was a whirring sound for a second then death.

I called the mechanic who got it started in neutral, he looked the engine over and the battery, he said it was all working very nicely. Then he turned it off and it happened again, this time he couldn’t get it to work, so it had to be towed home :(

I’ve got a few ideas as to what it is, I recently got a new key (no spare) and frequently the immobiliser doesn’t like it and kicks in, which means either the key is bad or the electrics were dodgy for a while and now have finally fused, however, when the immobiliser activates, it makes a ‘nee naw’ sound and a lock and unlock sorts it out, but there’s just silence.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,817 Posts
Poor connection on earth lead on the front slam panel. Follow the -ve battery cable, clean and re-make the connection. (Worth a try)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:roared straight into life the other day and has been running fine ever since, after extensive digging around, there appears to be nothing wrong with any wiring. This leads me to believe that it’s the immobiliser, just noticed the immobiliser light is always on (don’t why I didn’t notice before lol)

·
Registered
mg_tf
455 Posts
I’m not claiming this is the cause of your problem, but the inhibitor switch which prevents automatics starting unless they are in Park, can become problematic, and behave as if the car indeed isn’t in Park, and nothing happens at the starter.
Sometimes problematic because the gear selector isn’t firmly in Park - so always worth a jiggle, or the contacts/plunger get a bit grotty. Worth running the lever through a few full movements once the car is running - observing all safety requirements associated with gear selection, of course!
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,453 Posts
..... I recently got a new key (no spare) and frequently the immobiliser doesn’t like it and kicks in, which means either the key is bad or the electrics were dodgy for a while and now have finally fused, however, when the immobiliser activates, it makes a ‘nee naw’ sound and a lock and unlock sorts it out, but there’s just silence.
The 'nee-naw' sound is because the immobiliser is still armed when you turn the key. It may be that the new fob is indeed faulty, or possibly it has a weak battery in it? There is an 'exciter ring' around the ignition barrel which, when the key is inserted into the ignition barrel generates a 'signal' which stimulates the fob to transmit the 'unlock/disarm' signal. Sometimes, when the fob battery is weak, it fails to be stimulated, and therefore does not transmit the unlock signal, even though it may well still work perfectly when pressing the unlock button.

However, from what you have described I don't think this problem is directly related to the non-operation of the starter. It sounds very much like a poor connection in the wiring (battery to body earths, starter motor connections, alternator connectors) or a faulty starter motor or solenoid.

If the red LED alarm indicator light in the middle of the instrument cluster is constantly illuminated, it would suggest that there is a fault in the alarm system somewhere. The favourite place to look would be the tailgate wiring loom where it passes through the rubber boot between the body and tailgate at top right of the tailgate aperture. Chafed wiring is pretty common just here and a short here could well show up a constantly lit LED and may cause any of a number of issues - including confusing the alarm/immobiliser systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not claiming this is the cause of your problem, but the inhibitor switch which prevents automatics starting unless they are in Park, can become problematic, and behave as if the car indeed isn’t in Park, and nothing happens at the starter.
Sometimes problematic because the gear selector isn’t firmly in Park - so always worth a jiggle, or the contacts/plunger get a bit grotty. Worth running the lever through a few full movements once the car is running - observing all safety requirements associated with gear selection, of course!
Kind regards,
Austin.
Actually that could well be good point, I’ve noticed a bit of a ‘whine’ in the gear box when in drive, could this be connected I wonder?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 'nee-naw' sound is because the immobiliser is still armed when you turn the key. It may be that the new fob is indeed faulty, or possibly it has a weak battery in it? There is an 'exciter ring' around the ignition barrel which, when the key is inserted into the ignition barrel generates a 'signal' which stimulates the fob to transmit the 'unlock/disarm' signal. Sometimes, when the fob battery is weak, it fails to be stimulated, and therefore does not transmit the unlock signal, even though it may well still work perfectly when pressing the unlock button.

However, from what you have described I don't think this problem is directly related to the non-operation of the starter. It sounds very much like a poor connection in the wiring (battery to body earths, starter motor connections, alternator connectors) or a faulty starter motor or solenoid.

If the red LED alarm indicator light in the middle of the instrument cluster is constantly illuminated, it would suggest that there is a fault in the alarm system somewhere. The favourite place to look would be the tailgate wiring loom where it passes through the rubber boot between the body and tailgate at top right of the tailgate aperture. Chafed wiring is pretty common just here and a short here could well show up a constantly lit LED and may cause any of a number of issues - including confusing the alarm/immobiliser systems.
Ok, I’ll have a look there, interesting that I have to press the lock/unlock button multiple times, cheers for the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just in case people are having the same issues, I sorted it with a new battery, also if you’re stranded somewhere, try hitting the starter motor with something, that got mine started!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts