MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a Rover 25 03 Plate and the proformance of the car tbh is crap. What I would like to know is what speeds can all get on the motoway with theres. Mine does not go over 90mph on flat for some strange reason.

I have just got the car back from the MG Garage as the car lost power whilst I was driving back from Darlington last Friday and would not go above 30mph of which I cannot drive on the motoway like that.

The Garage has done the folowing:

Cleared all errors that was present when hooked up to the computer
Cleaned the coils
Cleaned all plugs
Updated the software on the ECU unit with an upto date version
Fuel consuption was too high so this has been lowered now
Drained Oil and replaced.

All errors are now clear on the computer and I am to take it back after 500miles to have the oil levels checked again.

So what speeds can you get and what do you think of the proformance of the car??

I am now tempted in getting the exhust changed / induction kit / engine tuned.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Sounds like you have an 83PS engine to me!
My thoughts entirely. 'Olympic' (being a special edition) suggests that could be the case! Has it got air-con? That kills the engine in my experience....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
83ps, should be able to get over 90mph, the 1.1 16v k sereis in the 200 achieves faster than that, is it under warrenty?
theres no point tuning a car if the engine is lacking in performance from stock.

Get this sorted as soon as, you will only be causing more damage in the long run.

Maybe a blocked cat? Are the brakes getting very hot after a normal run?
question questions!

Ben.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it is under warrenty still. I would not know about the breaks tbh. It was a hired car before I got it.

So you think I should take this up with rover?

I have spoke to a mobile tuner who reports that the car cannot be tuned as it is based on a computer management system.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,835 Posts
You really shouldn't say on a public forum that you drive at 90mph on the motorway - I'm sure insurance companies would browse through sites like this.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Liamm83 said:
You really shouldn't say on a public forum that you drive at 90mph on the motorway - I'm sure insurance companies would browse through sites like this.
That could not effect my insurance so I am not worried. If I parked my car on the street or had a crash then that would effect my insurance. If there was a question during filling out your insurance about what speeds you drive all would lie anyway.

Umm can I add to the first post it was PRIVATE LAND :eyes: Honest

Can I just add that I do not drive like that at all! Only do when I am testing proformance LOL

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Induction kit makes a big difference to the top end of the cars... but you really need to know what engine you have - 83ps or 103ps. Ask the garage.

The 25 I've just had managed a top of 125 on the motorway really pushing the car.
My 200 does that much easier with the induction kit.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Correct.

If you want to check which you have wip the air intake hose off the end of the throttle body and look inside the body while operating the throttle cam. You can see that the 103 ps is unresticted and the butterfly moves through a full 90 degrees the 83 does not and is clearly restricted in its movement.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
all the 1.4 olympic/impression/spirit models have the 83ps engine.

as stated the only difference is the restricted throttle body.

i have an 103ps rover 25 and i think the performance is slightly lacking compared with my old 103ps 214 however 90mph is easily achievable.....at least on flat roads.

the main differences are different gearing on the 25, two cats and the 25 is slightly heavier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, Check the obvious first things like making sure the intake pipe to your airbox hasnt got a pigeon living in it or something and the air filter is clean. My sisters car she just bought from a rover dealer supposidly had a full service and the air filter she had in there was discusting! If you dont mind me asking how much do you weigh, could explain a lot. LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem with my r25 1.6, it wouldn't go above 90mph, but as i looked at the standard air filter it was black, so i'm guessing it needs replacing, will be fitting an induction kit asap.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it tbh. Your model of car has a 0-60 of 11.8 seconds and a top speed of 105mph. You wont get top speed in top gear either as the engine doesnt have enough torque. Try dropping into fourth. As for your top speed, this could very much well be a speedo discrepancy as they arnt as accurate as you think. Also do you have 17" alloys on, as this will impair performance also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts