MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some 300 miles after changing the filter and oil (Castrol) in my late 2000 Rover 25 (mileage 40,000) a very light tapping sound started in the rocker box area. I assumed it was a piece of dirt in the hydraulic tappets so drained the system before replacing the filter and (same) oil in the hope the start up pressure of the oil would dislodge the grit. No luck. Now some 50 miles later it is a fairly distinct tap. Must I strip and clean the tappets ASAP or can I leave it for a while to see if it clears without causing any serious damage?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Personally, I think it has come time to sell the 25.

If I were in your position, I'd upgrade to a ZS. Probably a Solar Red ZS+120, complete with side skirts, Monaco half leather interior, front splitter, MP3 player, front fog lamps, 17" 'Straights' alloys, one careful owner and a full service history.

I understand the April 2002 vintage is a particularly fine vintage and apparently Solar Red is a particularly fine colour... which incidentally also suits the 25 especially well. Indeed, if your 25 is pre-enjoyed, the original owner must have been someone with exceedingly good aesthetic judgement and taste :lol:

Jonathan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your advice. Will try. If it does not work someone called John Switzer seems to be keen on selling me his MG. Could that mean 'Much Garbage'!
Major Ingram said:
I'd run the engine at 2500rpm for 15 minutes and see what happens....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Didi you use castrol GTX, if so this happened on my r400 and mg zr, I ignored it and put it down to the oil itself being that bit different enough to cause a noise in the tappets.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Many K series get tappety after a while. Nowt to worry about I would have thought. Mine does it, my mates' does it and quite a few others have the same problem here, doesn't affect the running of the car.

If there is a way of quitening them down, apart from changing the oil which does nowt, then I'd like to know about it.

Are tappets expensive to buy, how much for a set?

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Tappet rattle can very very easily get confused with mild piston slap, also associated with the K-Series.
Providing the oil and filter have been changed at regular service intervals, i'm 98% certain your ok, and that the noise described is normal.
My 214 did it, The ZR did it after it's first service at 10k, although i took it up the motoway, (30 miles round trip, and did a couple of high rev gear changes) and it's been fine again since. 2nd service is due now at 20k, and it will probably reappear, so i'll follow the same procedure!

Nothing wrong with the engine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts