MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello can anyone offer any advice?

ok i noticed a few weeks ago my front passenger door kept on making a noise when i locked/unlocked. but only did it a few times and went away. so i just ingnorned it.

Today finished work and came to unlock the car by pressing the button and nothing happend. The Car wouldnt unlock. at first i thought the battary had gone but i pressed the button to lock the car and i could here the car doors locking. i kept on pressing the button to open but nothing would happen. tried to open the car with the key but the key lock was stiff and didnt fancy snapping it in the lock.

so i managed to get through the boot of the car to unlock the back doors but i climed to the front and the front doors would not open. i managed to drive home then when i got home they unlocked??? i messed around with it for a bit and it went worse the front passenger lock was making loud noises. but now it started to set the alarm off. after i lock it.

i cant lock the car now cos the alarm keeps going off.

when i have locked then unlock the car and open the drivers door all the locks on the car throw a wobbla.

the car is doing stange things as if i have gremlims lol...

can anyone advise what the problem could be and what to do??

cheers

Suzy

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Sounds like a case of a duff locking motor to me. Common problem with the superlocking feature.
It happened to me fairly recently. It's a door card off, locking motor out job. Should take no longer than about an hour if you are fairly competent with tools or know someone that is.

Don't let it continue though, as it will get worse. If the cog in the motor sheers and the motor gets stuck it's very much a case of spending £££'s to get it sorted. There is also no easy way of getting the door open afterwards.
You literally have to break the interior door card off which is a right pain and adds more expense.

Which lock is it?

Out of interest, my book lock occasionally whines. It doesn't crunch or anything like that and the lock sounds fine, but i don't get what the whine is all about. Does anyone have any idea's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the passenger door that seems to be cause of the problem.

but someone has told me that the battary could be causing it to throw a wobbla??? is this true

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
It was the passendger side on my ZR too.

TBH im almost certain it isn't the battery. When the lock does make this noise, is it like a crunching/grinding sound?

If so, get the lock replaced ASAP as if it fails when shut and locked, you will have no end of trouble and expense reparing it. If you buy from a dealer they will charge you about £115 + VAT just for the part and couple that to about an hour to 2 hours labour, you will be looking at £200 - £250.

I haggled with the guy at my dealership a couple of months back. It is now Vauxhall but used to be MGR. He worked for them for about 20 years, and was more then helpful when i needed it.
After a few offers, he let me have the whole unit for £100 inc VAT. Give it a try too.

Like i said in previous post, i fitted the lock myself in about an hour.

Where about's are you based?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It was my passenger side lock that went a few weeks ago too. They must be defective generally. After reading the horror stories about doors sticking shut, I got a new (second hand one) as soon as (thanks cooper!). Installing it this weekend.

Damn expensive from a breakers. You can't get them new anymore as far as I can tell. I sent out a few emails, but nothing. Try calling Halfords, that will give them a laugh (just kidding, they can't help you).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts