MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this car, haven't had it on the road yet. How quick is this car? It feels alot sharper than my 1.4.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
not that much more power tbh, just a bit more torque. the 1.4 stands out in its class alot more than the 1.6 does. dont expect a huge increase.

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
If your old car was the 1.4 8v then you should see quite an increase, the 1.4 is around 84ps and the 1.6 around 120ps so it should feel a good deal quicker.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
214i 8v said:
Just got this car, haven't had it on the road yet. How quick is this car? It feels alot sharper than my 1.4.
im not one for condolling speeding but got about 125 on open road out of mine when i first got. (please dont try thought as i was beening stupid at the time) :minxy:

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Em.Tee said:
im not one for condolling speeding but got about 125 on open road out of mine when i first got. (please dont try thought as i was beening stupid at the time) :minxy:
125mph from a 1.6 yeah right!

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
He means 125 indicated, which is possible. Probebly more like 110 in reality though.
yeah i know the 10% over read. i was waiting for my chance to look clever and explain it to him. damn you!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old rover was a 214i 8v, which was 10 years old and i think it had around 70ps due to age and other factors. This 1.6 has only 9000 miles on it, i think it'll be much quicker at accelerating but won't be an awful lot quicker top speed, i got the 214 to 113 one night (on a race track of course and according to the speedo).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing, does anyone know where i can get carbon fibre trim to replace the walnut? Doing my head in!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
tommihayes said:
If your old car was the 1.4 8v then you should see quite an increase, the 1.4 is around 84ps and the 1.6 around 120ps so it should feel a good deal quicker.
the 1.6 on the 25 is 109ps........and the 8v 214 would be around 75bhp.

in any case the 1.6 will feel much sharper than the 200.

although the 16v 214 i used to have felt quicker than my 25 1.4 103ps........but the 25 is heavier and has two cats which doesn't help.

good choice there m8....well equipped too the iL.....does it have air con??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No mate, no air con or sun roof but being from Northern Ireland, I think the cars ability to defrost on a cold morning will be more important to me! lol

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
dac said:
yeah i know the 10% over read. i was waiting for my chance to look clever and explain it to him. damn you!!!
which is why im glad my car goes well off the clock.... to approx 140. minus my 10% im looking at around 126/130 ish... GPS wil tell soon enough :D

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
MICHAELB said:
in any case the 1.6 will feel much sharper than the 200.
Come again...?:err:

Mine overreads by 2mph at ALL speeds, so must be spot on just the needle is in the wrong place! GPS confirmed.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
ashy said:
Come again...?:err:

Mine overreads by 2mph at ALL speeds, so must be spot on just the needle is in the wrong place! GPS confirmed.
you need to bare in mind that even with GPS there are bound to be some innacuracies..

my bro is a site engineer and has a £3k gps unit for laying out of buildings and footings. this in a stationary position can be out by a few CM or even inches. therefore when a car is moving at speed the degree in which it is potentially out is much much greater. nothing is entirely accurate. having said that i doubt it is miles and miles off, but id allow a few more MPH for GPS error, plus update speed.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
ricc said:
you need to bare in mind that even with GPS there are bound to be some innacuracies..

my bro is a site engineer and has a £3k gps unit for laying out of buildings and footings. this in a stationary position can be out by a few CM or even inches. therefore when a car is moving at speed the degree in which it is potentially out is much much greater. nothing is entirely accurate. having said that i doubt it is miles and miles off, but id allow a few more MPH for GPS error, plus update speed.
Was spot on with one of those speed check signs and I've trusted my license to it at speed cameras and been Ok so far...not been flashed yet..:dd:

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
dac said:
there wont be if the increase is from 103ps to 120ps now would there?
I didn't know you could get the 8v 1.4 with 103ps i thought that was only the 16v?

Just what i thought though, i don't know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea there are two versions of the 1.4 25, the 84ps and 103ps, both are 16v.
The 214i 8v which I used to drive was 75ps i think.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts