MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car seems to lack power for a 1.4 16v engine, also the handling is very sensitive. are these normal for rovers?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The 1.4 K series is one of the most, if not the most, powerful 1.4 engines on the market. Even in restricted 84ps form it will not lack power in a 25. The handling on the 25 I had was a little sensitive, but I never had any trouble with it.

I had my 1.6 25 for a year and the only trouble I had was it needed 2 bulbs and a tyre in that time, and it covered 20000 miles without a major failure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been testing a few 25's lately, I tried a 1.4 25, not too sure what the bhp was on it but compared with my old 214i 8v, there wasn't much in it, not slow, but definately not much quicker, try the 52mm throttle body and panel airfilter, this could help improve responsiveness.

·
Registered
254 Posts
the vin plate in the passenger side pillar will tell you what bhp model it is. Also look at the throttle body, if it only opens partly it is the 84bhp model. I changed mine today to the 103bhp tb and it makes a big difference. In 4/5 months of ownership ive only had to replace a brake light bulb. The handling is very good but i could do with with some decent tyres. The only thing i find lacking is the brakes, there not too bad but could do with disks all round instead of rear drums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is the 84ps model.

i had a 1.3 fiesta 16v before and it seemed quicker. how can i increase power?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
You could change the throttle body - there are numerous threads on how to do that. This will give you the 103ps engine.

It might be that the 25 has a far superior ride to the Fiesta that makes it seem slower as well. The Fiesta will rattle around more at lower speeds so would seem quicker, whereas the 25 has very smooth ride for its size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its still under a 6months warranty, can i ask for a engine diagnostic print out? i need to take it back as the passenger side door lock makes a noise and the clutch makes a high pitched sound when pulling away in 1st.

·
Registered
254 Posts
could be a loose belt if it is squealing when setting off. What would you need a diagnostic read out for? the 84bhp model is quick for a 1.4 but wont set any land speed records :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
milly said:
how do i get to these threads (new to all this)
i posted how to fit one on an earlier thread today, i fitted mine today and it took about half an hour. very easy even for a novice like me.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My mate has a 1.3 fiesta, another has a 214. The 214 is faster, without a doubt. Seriously drive it harder, it likes to be revved, it will keep on going unlike the fiesta that just turns into a noise machine.
Id get an unrestricted TB though, has to be the easiest and biggest hike in BHP you can get from any car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers
sorry if i seem a bit thick but what does TB stand for and where can i purchase one from cheaply?

·
Registered
254 Posts
you can get a throttle body (tb) from a scrap yard, make sure it opens fully not just half way. check your pm box for instructions on how to change it. cost me 30 quid including the cable that is required. it sounds a harder job than it really is.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
kev25v6 said:
you can get a throttle body (tb) from a scrap yard, make sure it opens fully not just half way. check your pm box for instructions on how to change it. cost me 30 quid including the cable that is required. it sounds a harder job than it really is.
I've got an alloy unrestricted knocking about, if i had a membership, id sell it over this forum.
Got mine for £10, which is pretty good really.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kev25v6 said:
thanks for that, will fit one at the weekend let you know how it goes.

had the car around 2 weeks now and generally very pleased. i prefer the firm suspension compared to the flimsy fiesta i had before

cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Samuel said:
I've got an alloy unrestricted knocking about, if i had a membership, id sell it over this forum.
Got mine for £10, which is pretty good really.
would you take a fiver for it!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
milly said:
would you take a fiver for it!
Dont think im allowed to sell it over here. Im going to maybe buy a new car in the next 2-3weeks, want to keep it in case i end up with another rover with a sticking TB. Ill keep you in mind if i have a change of heart!
I shouldnt have said how much it cost me!

·
Registered
254 Posts
dont forget you will need the cable too. best to get both straight out of a scrap one, you will probably not need to adjust the cable then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tips

would appreciate any other tips you guys have on improving ride, handling and performance.

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts