MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought Rover 25 (1.4 IE petrol) and experiencing cavernous engine sound (cold and hot engine) plus the engine indicator lamp (amber) is always on. Did somebody have the same occurrence?
Can I drive or "only to the nearest garage"? Where might the problem be?
Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Have you driven a K series before?
The Kseries does have quite a growl to it and if it's the noise I'm thinking of then they all make that hollow sort of noise, but just check your air filter is secure and/or doesn't need changing.

The only way you will find out why the engine light is on is to hook up to diagnostics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven’t been diving K series before.
The noise is like silencer is broken - but it is not... Is it K matter?

Thanks for idea to check air filter - i am on the way :)

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
jtata said:
No, I haven’t been diving K series before.
The noise is like silencer is broken - but it is not... Is it K matter?

Thanks for idea to check air filter - i am on the way :)
So the noise is not actually coming from the engine, but is coming from the exhaust?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
If you have a later K with plug top coils check the leads for witness marks of arcing out on one of the 8mm bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ashy said:
Can you give us a bit more info? Like is it from the rear or from the front...?

It comes from the front side of the car - definitely not from rear. When you are outside, the noise is not that clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The air filter is clear, probably changed recently.
Leads do not have any marks of arcing.

I saw also that the gearbox (mechanical) is furred all over with black oily varnish. As it is not common for other parts of the engine it seems very suspicion for me.

·
Registered
rover_25
420 Posts
does the car struggle on accelleration? when was the last service? I had the same problem, the engine light kept coming on, took it for a service and thats all it needed, as for the growl, check the underside of the plastic on the air box some folks drill holes in the bottom for more noise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts