MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rescently rebuilt a rover 25 and put it on the road :) all has been good untill the other day when a very curious fault apeared!!!!!!

1. When i fire it up, if i pull away streight away the car goes and moves off as normal, after about 5 seconds i get no throttle response when in gear.

2. If i fire it up wait 5 seconds before pulling off i have no throttle response.

3. On points 1 & 2 even if i am in gear or in neutral i have no throttle response.

all of this last for aprox 5 minutes at which point with the foot all the way down the car decides its going to go. If i go on a long drive 200 miles i have no problems at all it just keeps going and going and going. On a long drive if i stop for a couple of minutes and start it up i have no problems.

If i go on a short drive stop for any period of time i get the problems as described in points 1 ,2 & 3 above!

I hope that some one has seen this before or had this because you might be able to help me finaly get my rebuild going!

I should point out that i have the restricted throttle body on the car at the moment and do have a 52mm one ready to go on but dont have a cable as yet!

the replacement engine came from an MG ZR

the gearbox clutch being used came from the rover 25

if any one can help i would be greatfull!

thanks T_F_S

·
Registered
40 Posts
It could be a small hole in the fuel line somewhere letting in a little air when it rests. I'm just guessing though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok here is an update on this problem.

i have now got the 52mm throttle body on to the car.......... and alas it still has the fault.

I have checked the coil packs
i have checked the spark plugs
i have changed the TP sensor

a friend of mine has said he thinks he can here a air leak could an air leak cos my problems ?

on a better note although the 52mm throttle body although not fixing the fault it is slightly better, posiably down to better air flow? However that said as before it is no where near where it should be!!!

i have also been told that on changing the TPS i have to get it tuned / calibrated by rover is this correct?

any help thaughts will be apreciated :) thanks in advance

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks as if i've got this one all sorted. I had a guy come round ( cost me £20 ) with the pc to link up to the car to get the fault codes! Fault codes said lamda sensor, which i thaugh was funny as every time i had that sensor go faulty it always braught up the orange engine warning led.

Luckely enough i had a spare :) so we put it on and all seams good so far. I wont realy know till the engine has cooled down but with a bit of luck it will be sorted!

so in retrespect who would have thaught the lamda sensor would couse poor throttle response :)

an old rover rebuilt is now back on the road :)

keep safe T_F_S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts