MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forums, but was wondering if anyone could advise on this problem i'm having. My sister just bought a smart 02 plate Rover 25 1.4i. She has an old MP3 CD player head unit from her previous car which she's asked me to fit into her new Rover.

I managed to get as far as pulling the old Rover stereo from the dash (discovered it's made by Blaupunkt), but god only knows how you're meant to detach the wiring loom?!?!

There is a sort of large black plastic block on the back left hand side of the radio which all the wires go into. Part of this platic block (a section which goes over the top and down each side) has a small slot into which you can insert a screwdriver and lever it upwards (theres a small diagram printed into the plastic showing you to do this). When you do this, it moves the outer section of the plastic block up about 1/2 an inch which exposes the blade fuse for the radio.

However, it seems impossible to actually disconnect the wiring from the radio. I gave it a good sharp tug, tried wiggling it, etc etc but it doesn't want to budge. I wanted to make sure this actually does come off and was just really tight before I started really trying to force it - I don't wanna break anything :)

The only other option I have if this doesn't come off, is to cut all the wires and then solder them onto the output wires of the new stereo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got photos if they're of any use???

Many thanks - Sid.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi

Yep like you say you lift up the outer plastic cover & then just pull. They are in quite tight as there are 17 pins connections in all, so you will need to pull hard.

Another thing you could look for is to trace the radio loom back towards the dash & you may find that the other end of block connector is connected to the Car Loom by ISO connections.

Worth having a look

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.... i never thought of what type of connectors would be on the other end of the cable...I did stick my arm up inside the dash but couldn't feel where the loom went to....its like the bleedin' tardice in there, it swallowed my entire arm!!! :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I also have this radio - took me a while to figure out - the clip feels like it is going to break but if you lever it up it will come off and disconnect the whole wiring block.

Can anyone confirm whether the other end of the cables does terminate into an ISO connector to the car wiring loom? (I can't reach up to the end of the wiring and don't want to start removing pieces of trim if it won't solve anything!)

·
Registered
classic_rover
1 Posts
Hi

Yep like you say you lift up the outer plastic cover & then just pull. They are in quite tight as there are 17 pins connections in all, so you will need to pull hard.

Another thing you could look for is to trace the radio loom back towards the dash & you may find that the other end of block connector is connected to the Car Loom by ISO connections.

Worth having a look
hi there, i have a similar problem with my rover 25 stereo. did you manage to change it over ? i have got the factory stereo out but dont know how to connect the new one up. any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
rover_25
2 Posts
Thanks for leaving these posts. Some of them go back a decade or so, in fact just after the new millennium and just after the end of the last century. Still good though.

Ta!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts