MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I am in great need of ur advice and expertise. My Rover 220DS Turbo is blowing out an xcessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine.

I bought the car about 3 weeks ago and have given it a full service, changed oil, air and fuel filters, engine oil, glow plugs and took it for an MOT. It Failed.

My passenger front gaitor was split also the rear wheel (driver) was seized.

I have has the gaitor replaced and the rear wheel sorted out, however the biggest problem is the emissions. The car has no MOT so I cant take it for a drive and try clearing it that way.

One thing that may help is that when i press the accelarator, revs go up very slowly, like im rev-ing myself, but my full foot is down. Does anyone have any idea what this could be due to.

I do realise its hard to diagnose without having the car infront of you but is there anything i can try

Raj

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
so what colour is the smoke????

possibilities..

MAP sensor, if disconnected the car will not boost and will be very slow and unresponsive with lots of smoke as described(on the sdi's it gives a warning on the dash, do you have one??

split in the hose behind the turbo

Turbo gone, would cause oil consumption, loads of smoke and relectance to rev

andy

·
Registered
500 Posts
someone may have played about with the power screw, to check take off the engine cover and you will see the fuel pump, on the left hand side there is a screw that should have a cover on it to stop it being adjusted, if this has been removed then try turning the screw a little anticlockwise (this reduces the amount of fuel the pump deliveres. a sign of the screw being adjusted is that the idle will be a bit high, it should be around 800-850 at idle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the smoke is like a light grey but the harder i rev, the darker the smoke.

A friend of mine says a motorway run will sort it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
if it climbs revs very slowly then i doubt it'll hit motorway speeds, if you reve the car from the engien bay can you hear air escapng??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have taken it on the motorway when i took it for an MOT, after 3000RPM the car seems fine but then again it sometimes cuts out.......this isnt all the time its only sometimes.

Im totally lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts