MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I love my Turbo...But its turning heads for the wrong reason because of my Super Oh so Loud Fan!!

This car was originally a GTI and as I understand it a workaround was made to get the fans to come on due to missing loom or something for the fan control.

It kicks in just after normal engine temp...usuallly after 20 mins of driving...so so so loud

Any suggestions was thinking of maybe putting a switch close to the steering wheel ...but If I forget 2 switch it on ..:doh: ..it could be bad...

Please pleeease help GURU'S

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
My turbo has twin fans, they do tend to be on a lot, but i think its normal. Turbo owners have mentioned it before. One of mine is quite loud. Maybe you just need new ones?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mine has the standard OE cooling set up but has a ported head, fast road cams and a T28 Turbo unit. Depending on the boost setting it has about 260 bhp, more to the point though - the cooling fans NEVER run unless its been stationary for a few minutes on a hot day. I had a standard 220 Turbo before this one and it was exactly the same.

It does sound as though it may be a wiring issue - in my experience the T16 Turbo does not usually run hot.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
sounds like a dodgy coolant temp sensor. Mine only ever comes on when i've been in traffic for a while. Never heard it come in unless i override them with the switch in the car.
Steve

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys its serious loud...as I drive up a street I can see people turning as they hear it :sad3:

Thing is it doesnt take much...a simple short 15-20 min drive not even Booting it..

Is there maybe a silent fan available?

Its getting close 2 summer and if its hot ..I will never hear the end of it

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Mine dont come on when moving, but when in traffic they come on all the time, the temperature gauge never moves much once warm though. I remember Tiffs test of the 220 coupe turbo on top gear. His fans were on practically the whole time, if i recall correctly he did mention it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tiff drove a turbo ...cool ...what did he think of it?

Geeza U lucky bugger....The fan is driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
he drover it round the Nurbergring!!Back in the mid 90's

hehe you should've come to the Waterman mate, you still havent had a go in it

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
He thought it was a fast handful, which is fair really. I think he quite liked it though. Have a look here

Do you have 2 fans? I think you should have 2.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea 2 fans...1st fan is loud 2nd fan is the icing on the cake!

Yep was gutted about the waterman.....but hey I aint goin no where so 1 day...1 day!!!

Have decided now am getting this 600Sli soon going to sell it respray my car.....but have absol...got 2...fix this fan business..it just plain aint right!!!

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
cud always replace them wiht some slim line fans i have inch spal ones and they are well quite.

Sie

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
i got 2 spal fans on mine, when they come in, they're not that loud on stage 1, on stage 2 you can hear them :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve I think mine run at stage 2 everytime they come on...are the Spal fans as loud as the standard at stage 2?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
Yep you've got the fans running on stage 2 which sounds like a road sweeper!!! :D

Only ever got mine onto number 2 twice. They should run on stage 1 and will be on after a run at nearly every stationary moment esp in the summer. Stage 1 is quiet and you won't notice them until you turn the engine off and if its quiet you'll hear them spool down. They both run on both stages.

You need to look at the wiring, aftermarket sports fans won't be much quieter.

My brother has a 205 and has wired up the fan to a switch, this puts it on stage 2 straight away. Maybe the ECU has a resistor to alternate between stage 1 and 2

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,230 Posts
well i have spal ones and i found them them to be louds quieter than the standard ones mine both come on tho as not runnign off the ECU.

Bit more expencive but as i was getting me intercooler needed them well worth it tho.

Sie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts