MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new Rover driver here needing any help possible, L reg 1994 218SLd Turbo, 130000, just passed mot, new fuel tank. Starts first time every time, but only runs for 15 seconds or so then cuts out. Then for next 10 minutes is a right pain to get started. Once going it runs ok except when at constant rpm you car hear and feel the engine speeding and slowing. Does same if cold or hot starting. It sounds like running out of fuel. I dont know anything about diesel engines, but i guess at fuel pump, filter, or injectors? Runs ok otherwise, mpg is good, no smoke etc. was told sounded like air in system and to prime before starting but this just makes it worse and i get covered in diesel. Just a point, only just bought car and was ok up to having new fuel tank fitted. Any help would be nice so i can give neigbours a break at 6am every morning.
Many thanks.
Matt

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Someone had a similar problem a while ago. I think that was down to an air leak in the fuel lift pump. Whilst you are replacing that you may as well change the filter too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd get the fuel filter replaced. It's entirely possible that when the tank was replaced some crud went into the fuel lines and is now sitting in the filter. It won't cost much to do either.

Never worked on the Pug 1.8 diesel engines, but a fuel filter change on my L-series is a 5 minute job.

Andy

G

·
There is no lift pump on the Peugeot/Citroen engines as such - just a hand operated "bulb" on the filter housing to draw fuel through if air gets into the system. However, it does sound like a classic air leak.

Check all the pipework going into and out of the fuel filter and from the fuel filter housing to the injection pump. These pipes can go hard and brittle and so allow air in - the surging you are getting is an indication that this is likely.

Also check the fit of the fuel filter canister on to the housing.

Finally, it may be a failure of the hand pump "bulb" on the filter housing - a new housing (about £30) is the only real answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks to all, problem was indeed bulb on primer head unit, cost £21 for head and filter, 15 minutes time, now running like a dream, complete different car. Many thanks for some very sound advice.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts