MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am new to this forum, however i love to do up rovers in my spare time, unfortunatly this current car has beaten me, my rover 216 has leaking camshaft oil seals at the distributer end? I have been told the seal i should fit are brown but i have tried all of them!!! With no joy!!

when i fit the seals (even tried with sealer) start the car they seem to push out like theres to much oil there (maybe not draining away fast enough?? to much pressure ? i have ran the vehicle without oil cap so i know its not crankcase pressure? anyone have any ideas? or had this problem before?

would be very much appreciated

thanks James

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Are the seals you are using aftermarket ones? I tried two brown seals for my camshaft seal on the cambelt end but they still leaked. I went to a Rover dealer and bought some manufacturer seals which stopped the leak straight away, with the help of some hylomar sealant also around the seal.If i am right and i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but the cambelt end are black and the dizzy cap end is red. I would say go with the Rover ones all of the time. It cost me £5.70 for the one seal, bit expensive for what it is but well worth it in the end.Make sure you are using a big enough socket to bang the seal in, i think i used a size 30mm socket.HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks

Thanks for the reply after trying so many seals i did have my doubts but i am going to go down rover dealers friday as i been ill and purchase some decent ones

got two seals on one cam end and bolted plate up for now, and pput a plastic disc behind dizzy cap and bolted dizzy cap back on- worth a note it really works as a temorary fix and the seals can't push out!!!

thanks again

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts