MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been quite a while since my last posting but the time has come for me to part company with the 216 GTI TC.
Thanks to Shufti and CO. with tips trying to solve the non-start issues.Unfortunately the problem was more obvious than electrical problems.
Diagnosis: Snapped Cambelt !! damage not yet diagnosed.
I've spent the best part of a grand getting the car ready for its MOT which is still valid until November 2007.
New Battery,New Alternator,New Starter Motor,New Discs and Pads allround, 4 x Pirelli p6000 tyres,dizzy cap,leads,rotor arm,spark plugs etc.. the list is endless.
The two new front wings need paint to finish.
Will sell as complete car or break.
Anybody interested can contact me on this website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The GTI TC Lives!

At last the GTI TC is up and running again.

Engine repair cost £250 but well worth it. Next step is a respray and some cosmetic work ( to original spec that is ) and then use whats left of the summer to get out and about for some decent runs.

Keep you posted on developments perhaps a few pics.

Cheers,

Macka

·
Registered
332 Posts
At last the GTI TC is up and running again.

Engine repair cost £250 but well worth it. Next step is a respray and some cosmetic work ( to original spec that is ) and then use whats left of the summer to get out and about for some decent runs.

Keep you posted on developments perhaps a few pics.

Cheers,

Macka
That's good to hear.

What needed doing to the engine?

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
If the cambelt snaps on the Honda D series used in the wedge 200's then you just need a new belt on it unless you wear travelling at the speed of light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two bent valves Shufti.

And only doing 45-50mph at the time, plus I dipped the clutch immediately and pulled over.

Proof that you don't need to be doing tear a%$e speeds to do damage.

I've had 2 runs to the Lake District this week and I'd forgotten how well these things perform.This guy in a brand new 2.0 TDI VW Passat was just shaking his head when he eventually caught up with me at lights to find he'd been left standing by a 20 year old rust bucket.

Roll on the respray.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the cambelt snaps on the Honda D series used in the wedge 200's then you just need a new belt on it unless you wear travelling at the speed of light.
True. Was doing 70 ish in my 216 sli sc and the belt went. £100 later and job is a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts