MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a Rover 200 1.6gsi T reg, and was looking to do some mods to it.

I have already done the basics, silicone ingnitions leads, new sparks, dropped oli and a k and n induction filter, but believe this car has alot of potential to get more performance and BHP out of it.

A friend of mine is breaking his 218 up after a small collision ( :p ) and has offered me his VVC injection/throttle body unit.

First of all, would you guys think this will fit onto my 200 gsi, (im guessing it will replace the box with injection inscribed on it) and second would i notice any performance difference at all?

Also, im looking at increasing the cold airflow into the engine via the induction. My father once spoke of a unit call a "ram pipe" back in the days of mini coopers, where once air is taken into the tubing from the filter, it hits bends in the pipe to speed it up and increase the airflow.

Does something like this exist on todays market?

Many thanks to whomever replies!!

Regards - DaDragon

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Unless you are some kind of pro you cant drop the VVC in. It would require a ton of work (not least all the new ECU and wiring) as its a completely different timing mechanism (and a complicated one at that).
Im not sure which TB was on the VVC, but that should go on alright. The VVC logo on the plastic/metal above the engine is just there so you can tell what engine it is, the VVC part is actually in the cylinder head.

EDIT : sorry if you meant you just wanted the cover so it LOOKED like you had a VVC, then that *might* work but not sure.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey samuel,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Thanks for clearing that one up on the VVC.

Samuel said:
Im not sure which TB was on the VVC, but that should go on alright.
In regards to the throttle body going on, will that do anything to enhance the performance, or am i wasting my time there?

Cheers!

DaDragon

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
dadragon said:
Hey samuel,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Thanks for clearing that one up on the VVC.

In regards to the throttle body going on, will that do anything to enhance the performance, or am i wasting my time there?

Cheers!

DaDragon
Well, its likely that your 216 will have a crappy plastic throttle body, its notoriously prone to "sticking" (ie revs holding when you come off the accelerator) and replacing it with an alloy one (if thats whats on your mates car) will get rid of this and give better throttle response. The plastic and the alloy TB both come in 48mm sizes, but the alloy is also available as a 52mm, and that wont really give more BHP but will make the throttle a lot more responsive and nicer to drive.

I see your mate had a 218, if its a 1.8 with the VVC mech in it, that would make it a Vi (thats just how they are known, its the model name). The non-VVC 1.8 is just called the 218.
If i were you i'd steal his seats and his suspension (thats assuming its a Vi, it had lowered suspension and a nicer trim)
Check what TB he has on the car then nick that too if its a good one as ive said above.
All the best with the pilfering!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice info there, thankyou very much samuel!

The TB is the metal one, so i will give that ago some time and try to graft it on, as your right, i got the plastic one on mine.

Cheers for your time!

DaDragon

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
the 52mm throttle body mod hasn't really shown enough of an increase, some people have taken them off within days of driving.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input m8s.

I will see how i get on with the TB, as for interior ive got full leathers in mine, my mate had half leathers, but still, might rob them and ebay them!

How about increasing cold ariflow into my unit? Is there anything i can do, or will i have to purchase something specific for my motor.

I currently have a bog standard k and n induction filter, using the exisiting piping under the hood.

Thanks,

DaDragon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts