MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i have a really diffecult to explain problem on my 214.

It goes like this when traveling along in 3rd gear at 30 Mph, the car will start to kangaroo backwards and forwards. Its almost feels like its taking up slack somewhere and bouncing back.

It also does this if you lift off the throttle while at high revs and at a low speed.

At first i thought it was my gearbox because that was making some interesting noises. This weekend i replaced the gearbox and all the noise has gone away but the kangarooing is still present.

While the gearbox was off i checked the rear and gearbox engine mount for wear but they both seemed ok.

The car seems ok while accelrateing going up though the gears smoothly with no noise. It also selects gears ok and there isnt any knocking from the cv joints in corners

So im stumped as to what can be causeing this. I want to try and resolve this as i belive that the bouncing will be causeing extra strain on my new gearbox.

Anyone got any ideas?

P.s did they change the engine mounts in anyway on the later cars, and would it be worth upgradeing to the newer items?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Did you torque the pressure plate in the correct sequence? and is the clucth aligned corretly? and the bell housing absolultley flush with the engine and located corretly?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I would say this is more likely to be a clutch problem than a gearbox problem. I can replicate what you experience and I know this is due to my clutch being worn.

If I take my foot of the gas push the clutch in then let the car slow and then release the clutch the car will tend to kangaroo like a mutha f....r.
It's as if the clutch is dragging. It goes away if I push in the clutch.
Does yours go away if you push in the clutch?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This sounds more like a fuel or ignition problem. Take out the plugs to see if any cylinder is running rich. If it is then check the ignition lead and the injector lead.

·
Registered
843 Posts
mine does the same,espcially when i go into 2nd to go round a corner and then try to accelorate out.i fitted new plugs but i have nopticed a split in one of the ht leads so im going to replace them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we didnt change the clutch when we did the work as i couldnt afford one at the time.

It does go away when pushing the clutch down.

The gearbox and engine are mated correctly and in the correct locations. this problem was also there on my old gearbox which has never been moved since the car was new by the looks of it.

After what some of you guys have said im starting to belive its a worn clutch now as well.

So im gonna start saving for a new clutch, be very careful and feed the clutch in all the time as this reduces the problem till its not noticeable really.

Thanks for the ideas guys... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts