MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,ive got a 1996 214si(5 door) and want to change the speakers in the front and back.i dont want to buy different size speaker brackets so does anybody know the sizes of the front and rear speakers and the depth so i can go out and start looking,or even better can anybody recomend some.im not looking to spend shed loads,just somthing to replace the rubbish ones that come standered.thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
The rear speakers are 13cm

The fronts are usually 17cm, but for some reason I have 13cm in the front of my 216si. I am not sure on the depth, but I can't see that this would be a problem in the rear, as the mount is open to the boot.

I fitted 3way sony xplod speakers, which I ran off the HU for a while, which I was very pleased with.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks tom,did they fit straight in or did u have 2 mod? ive got a pair of 6 by 9s but dont want to cut away at the parcel shelf so im gonna get a pair 6*9 speaker boxes and sit them in the boot.

can i run them aswell as the rear speakers,the 6*9's are 4 way

·
Registered
680 Posts
yeah, they fitted straight in.

It depends on your head unit with regards to the 6x9s, if your HU is 6 channel, (which I doubts very much it is), then yes you can run them as well as the rear speakers.
Otherwise, you will need an amp to run these 6x9's as well as the rear speakers. I would recommend choosing which pair you want to run, either the 6x9's, or the rear speakers.

Can I ask why you don't want to cut out the parcel shelf?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi tom,
i dont want to cut it for a few reasons the first being that due to me going fishing alot and having to take it in and out i would end up breaking it like i did my old one on my corsa,the secon is that the theiving bas***ds broke into my car and stole my last pair and the last is that the parcel shelf is very thin and i doubt if it would take the weight of a pair of 6 by 9's.

my head unit is a jvc,i cant remember the model number but i brought it about 3 months ago and it cost me £130.ill have a look to see what channel output it has

may i ask what rear speakers u fitted into the bak of ur rover coz im after a pair.many thanks mate

·
Registered
680 Posts
These are the speakers which I put in the rear http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=ICA+Speakers

I think your going to have to choose which speakers you want to run, either the 6x9's or the rear speakers, unless your willing to buy a 2 channel amp to run one of the pairs. I don't have any experience with 6x9's, but if they are going to be mounted in their own boxes in the boot, they probably won't sound very good inside the car. It works fine with subwoofers in the boot, but this is because it is only a low frequency which is being emitted, and is difficult to tell which direction the noise is oming from.

If I were you, I'd either fit the rear speakers and sell the 6x9's,or modify the rear speaker mounts to accomodate the 6x9's.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thanks mate uve made my mind up 4 me,im not after bleeding ears and waking up the whole street lol.ill just stick to the rears and ditch the 6by9'.how much did u pay for ur sony rear speakers mate?

·
Registered
680 Posts
No problem! they're pretty simple to install too, just cut the rover connection adaptor off the cables which are already there, then connect these cables to cable which comes with the speakers. Then connect to the speakers.

The hardest thing is screwing in the speakers, as the mount is in a pretty awkward place! I found lying in the boot with a head torch on works best!!

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok mate,i didnt fancy the 6*9's but didnt think that i could get a set of 13cms that would fit straight in.thanks again for your help mate and ill let uknow how i get on....ill be doing the front speakers next lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts