MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs' motor would not start after she went to pick the kids up from school and basic chaecks by me could see nothing wrong. AA called and 'nice man' diagnosed starter motor as U/S.

Halfords quote £99.99 exchange - is this a fair price and how easy is it to do it myself ? (reasonably competent and I have ramps etc).

Any advice would be a appreciated. Many thanks

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Very easy job.

Disconect battery, remove wires going to motor (make note where they go)

The wires, they are usually corroded on rovers.

This may be a good point to say, clean all the wires up, make sure that earth is nice a clean and the contacts, and see if the old starter works.

I would personaly say, go to a scrapyard, they will only be about £25-30ish, plus you can get some first hand practice at taking one off.

Make sure you clean the pinion shaft, its doesnt need lubrication as its a harden shaft which slides nicely enough.

It can be done on axle stands if need be, 25mins max to get the motor off, 4-5 bolts (iirc) in total.

Get your head under there, and you will see what i mean.

Ben.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Don't get a second hand one from a scrappy unless you are strapped for cash.
Get a recon one for about £45 - £50. Or you can get new for around £65 on Ebay. I'd also contact your local motor factors which may be just as cheap. My mate got one for £55 brand new from a garage that had serviced his car.

Replacment is easy peasy and you can't really muck it up. It's only 3 bolts to remove.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
true, but he might be in luck where a new 25/zr has come in.... the insurance love to write them off much easily since the demise of rover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts