MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need you help please

the speedo has died on the rover 214 p reg k series engine.

it wont go above 0 mph have tried tapping it etc etc

are they cable or electronic ensors on these cars.

and any tips on checking all the stuff

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi mate i had the same problem with mine, it played up for around a week and then was fine, if it still doesnt work get yourself to a scrap yard shouldnt cost anymore that £10 and is a pretty straight forward job. good luck

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
need you help please

the speedo has died on the rover 214 p reg k series engine.

it wont go above 0 mph have tried tapping it etc etc

are they cable or electronic ensors on these cars.

and any tips on checking all the stuff

cheers
Hi mate, the speedo's have electronic sensors so my guess if it doesn't work at all is that the part that fits in the gearbox may be duff or the sensor/wiring has fallen off. The mechanism as i believe goes into the top of the box around the middle of the engine bay. (Someone else may be able to describe it better.) I would check this first as i can't see the actual dash part breaking.

Plus, just as a back up, check all of the fuses make sure nothing has blown inadvertly. Last thing get your self a haynes manual, i wouldn't be without mine.

HTH

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the pics and the link

i have now drove the car, and can confirm the rev counter works just not the speedo lol.

every thing elese seems fine, coudl this be the cause??

will have to take it apart 2mo some time and see

·
Registered
16 Posts
its located on the gearbox above the driver side driveshaft, mine went a while back, when i spoke to the person at rover parts desk he said i would be either that or a plastic gear in the gearbox that drives the sensor, and it would be a gearbox stripdown for a 2 quid gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts