MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
I have a problem; I think my car may have a secret life of it's own.
Every night I have parked up my 1994 Rover 214SLi , (Wonka, for short!), kissed it goodnight and gone to bed. Every morning, the battery is dead...not just flat, but dead.
I have charged the battery three times this week and each time it starts on the button and drives me around as usual. The following morning ...... dead .... not even enough of a spark to operate the central locking, let alone turn the engine over!
I have tried being nice to it; I washed it, I t-cut it, I polished the chrome, I vacuumed, polished, shined and generally mollycoddled it, but still it sleeps.
Something is seriously draining the battery; either Wonka has a secret party night-life I don't know about that's knackering it out, or.....and this is just a thought.....maybe the alternator is broken?
Has anyone out there had a similar problem who might be able to offer some guidance please?
Sister Fo.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

The first thing I would do is get the battery checked, any Motor Factors will be able to do that for you - it will show whether there are any dead cells, and whether the battery needs to be replaced.

If the battery is ok, then I would then next look at the Alternator.

If that is ok, then I would look at things that could be draining the battery overnight. Things like interior lights being left on, boot light etc.,

I hope this helps and let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Sister Fo said:
Hello and thank you for your quick reply. Could the battery be a problem even if it charges? All the cells bubble away nicely when charged.
Yes indeed, it may be that some of the cells are dead, and also it may be that your battery isn't holding its charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My parents car is doing the exact same thing, want to suprise them by fixing it instead of my dad having to disconnect the battery every night which even i find annoying. Apperently the alternater has been replaced a while ago and the mechanics are clueless to what the problem is. I know for sure that my mums key fob has given up and run out of battery. I see this is quite a common problem and ill do the electronics test with everything on for 1 hour on the weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
slashnmash said:
My parents car is doing the exact same thing, want to suprise them by fixing it instead of my dad having to disconnect the battery every night which even i find annoying. Apperently the alternater has been replaced a while ago and the mechanics are clueless to what the problem is. I know for sure that my mums key fob has given up and run out of battery. I see this is quite a common problem and ill do the electronics test with everything on for 1 hour on the weekend. Thanks
Hi, The easiest way to test is to have the battery checked first, if that's OK, then look for discharges, interior lamps and as Ian says, the boot light is notorious for staying switched on.

After that, disconnect the alternator and you'll need a multimeter, stick it on Amps and connect it in series (between the battery and either the positive or negative battery terminal and the lead) check for a current drain showing on the multimeter. If there's nothing, then it'll be the alternator, if there is, start by pulling fuses one by one until the current drain reduces to around 0.1 amps. Once you've identified the faulty circuit, you can look to replace or repair the faulty components or wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem with a 214 last year, turned out to be a stuck heated rear window relay! This heater draws a lot of current and will easily flaten the battery overnight. Try feeling the rear window an hour or so after parking... or just pull out the relay (In the fusebox in drivers footwell).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:grouphug: Thank you all so much for your help. I took 'Wonka' to Kwikfit, (bit of a misnomer really, seeing as I spent an hour and a half waiting for a two minute test even though I booked an appt!) and they did a drop test on the battery for me. Something about my battery reading being 12 point something and it should have been 13 point something. Anyhow, he says in all likelyness it's the alternator as the battery wasn't receiving any charge at all and I should take it to be tested for the input and output.(?) So, spoke to my Pop and he says, "Just put a new one on." and so I did. I have successfully managed to get a new alternator on this evening and have crossed all fingers and other crossable things that it works in the morning.
If not, the helpful advise so far received will be acted on. I'll post the result tomorrow! Thanks again for all help, here's hoping Wonka will wake up bright and breezy tomorrow, ready for a sedate little ladylike drive. :dee:
Sister Fo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.