MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the weather warming up, my other half told me that the Rover has been getting a little hot in traffic. I took a look, and noted that the coolant had dropped below the minimum mark. The coolant was filthy; it hadn’t been changed since I’d done the HG a couple of years ago, and some residue must have been left behind (full story on link: R214 back from the dead (Head Gasket Change)). Also, as the engine got hotter and hotter the fan didn’t come on. On taking a look at it, the fan was seized solid and smelt of burnt out electronics. The radiator was in a poor state too and having seen them for about £20 on ebay, I decided to buy one. I got a used fan from a breaker. There were no other signs of leaks or mixing of fluids.

Burnt out electrics in old fan – I suspect seized over the winter and burnt out when called into use this spring on one of the few warm days so far.


135116



The coolant system needed cleaning out and I bought some Holts flush for this. Experience told me that this may remove some gunk that was preventing leaks, but the cooling system was so filthy it needed a good clean, so I went ahead with the flush. I drained the coolant, and flushed through with a hose pipe until the water ran through clean. Then I refilled with water and put the flush in intending to do 30 miles of normal usage. Ten miles later, after stopping at some shops water poured from the coolant pump area under the engine. Luckily my earlier worries had led to me packing a big container of water in the boot, so I got home alright and ordered a water pump as well.

Removal of the radiator and fan assembly was easy: just unbolt and move the airbox back a few inches, disconnect the electrical connector 3 pipes (draining the coolant into a bowl from the bottom one first), undo the two brackets on the slam panel at the top, tilt back and lift out. The replacement fan and radiator required fixing together with 4 nuts, and fitting was just the reverse of removal.

New radiator and fan


135117



In contrast, replacing the water pump was pretty awkward. I disconnected the battery, top cam belt cover off, jacked up the rhs of the car (stands etc.), wheel off, and set the timing to the safe position, inserting cam locking tool. I removed cam belt tensioner and belt from top sprockets, carefully tucking to one side. The power steering belt also needed to be removed. The water pump was just about accessible from the top, held by five 8mm screws (one from behind near dipstick) and a 13 mm one which also served as a cover mount.

Water pump removed.


135118



I used some Loctite gasket on refitting, as the ‘O’ ring provided looked a bit inadequate. The right selection of small socket tools, some time and patience is recommended!

With the new water pump in place, the tensioner and cam belt then needs refitting properly and timing up


135119



The engine was refilled with coolant mix and other bits and bobs put on and connected.

‘Before’ expansion tank:


135120



‘After’ expansion tank:

135121


Thankfully no sign of leaks yet, and the fan is functional, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed…
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top