MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, was browsing Browns website and they have a few ZR shells for sale.

My question is:

Will a company ever release a rover 200 (bubble shape) shell?

I know they did with the old 200's, but what do you think?

I know i would buy one given the chance..............

Anyone?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 25 shell isnt identical.

The 25 shell is torsinally stiffer, plus theres the matter of the slam panel,

Any other thoughts folks?

Ben.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The differences are minor. As for getting your hand on a 200 shell. Your dealer can in fact order a new shell for any MG or Rover from 1989.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Sejin26 said:
The differences are minor. As for getting your hand on a 200 shell. Your dealer can in fact order a new shell for any MG or Rover from 1989.
Not that you would ever manage to get one brand new. They wont have any in stock and they wont be making any more I can tell you that for certain. The 200mk3 zr and 25 shell maybe but you wont get a mk2.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
They should have them in stock. They wear listed and not discontinued. I don't think Rover made them though. The only way to find out is to order a shell and see if it turns up.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
I would very much doubt you will be able to get a mk2 shell now. They have no need to make them. If the shell is damaged so that it needs replacing then insurance would have already written the car off anyway.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well they are still available hear are the part numbers,

AAC381550-2 Door Coupe - RHD

AAC381570-Cabriolet - RHD

AAC381610-Tourer RHD - Sunroof

AAC38026-3 Door Saloon - RHD

AAC38001-5 Door Saloon

They are all available to order except for petrol estates.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Sejin26 said:
Well they are still available hear are the part numbers,

AAC381550-2 Door Coupe - RHD

AAC381570-Cabriolet - RHD

AAC381610-Tourer RHD - Sunroof

AAC38026-3 Door Saloon - RHD

AAC38001-5 Door Saloon

They are all available to order except for petrol estates.
So, you could actually build yourself a 2ltr turbo coupe etc.

Imagine getting a coupe shell, and fitting it out with a diesel in it!!!

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mario1979 said:
is it really different?

why would rover "waste" money in their eyes on rigidity?

:)
beacuse the rover 25 was a rover 200, why release a face lifted version if the handling is identical to the 200? Even a stich weld that can be done very cheaply can effectively stiffen the chasis.

SO, i can buy a rover 200 shell, thats quite cool.

Can you imagine the possibilities?

It could be rust proofed far better, better built, Im having ideas now........

Cheers Sejin for finding that out, much appreciated

Ben.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I can get you prices for them tommrow that are up to date. The only three I know are right are the estate £795+VAT, 3dr £1200 +VAT and the 5dr £1700+VAT.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I don't know about that. what I do know for sure is this £40Million pounds of stock they have is old Unipart cast offs that's all. If you try to order one you might very well get one. In my experience most of the stuff that is not marked as discontinued or pending will arrive and these body shells are not marked. Plus they sell all the panels separate so nothing to stop them been assembled to a body shell.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Sejin26 said:
I don't know about that. what I do know for sure is this £40Million pounds of stock they have is old Unipart cast offs that's all. If you try to order one you might very well get one. In my experience most of the stuff that is not marked as discontinued or pending will arrive and these body shells are not marked. Plus they sell all the panels separate so nothing to stop them been assembled to a body shell.
They sell the body panels separatly because they are usually a matter of a few bolts to fix them on. A shell however is basically a starting point for a new car, and like i said before if you damage the bodyshell of the car and cant fix it by normal means then the cost of a new bodyshell will exceed the value of the car and will be written off. Which is why there wont be any new shells available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts