MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every so often my car lacks power it feels like its holding back in power this only happens for a second or two then the power kicks back in + when this happens a load of black smoke and i mean loads blasts from the back then its ok ,any idea whats wrong

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Check the wire leading from no.1 injector for wire chafing, it is a common problem. Also check that the EGR valve is working correctly. If not just disconnect it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please feel free to call me thick but were do i find this EGR ( photos would help )and would this cause the puffs of black smoke + iam only getting about 260 miles to a full tank is this about right

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
depends how you drive - it does seem excessive - I usually get around 400 - but when drived very very hard (i'm talking about 100mph + with aircon on) I've had to fill up every 240 - 250 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last weekend i went up to the lakes which is a trip off around 230 miles there and back on the m6 at 70 MPH i filled my tank up full and when i returned home there was just 1/4 of a tank lefted ,i dont drive hard cos ive got the kids in the back, so i think somthing is wrong ???

·
Registered
rover_100
146 Posts
was that 1/4 on the gauge ? How reliable is your fuel gauge ? - at a guess, from reading other queries, there would have been somewhat more than 1/4 left

·
Registered
994 Posts
That fuel consumption does seem a bit excessive. Mine does about 450 miles to a tank before the gauge reads empty, and that's driving with a lead foot too.

Check the wiring to no 1 injector

The EGR valve is behind the engine, near the turbocharger. It is about 3 inches in diameter and has a black small-bore vacuum hose attached to the centre of it, leading to a point on the bulkhead. Disconnect this hose (it should pull off easily) and try driving to see if it makes any difference.

Also check your air and fuel filters, and check that the catalyst hasn't broken up or something.

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts