MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any idea where I can get a cat/decat pipe for a Rover 200 SDI from?

I want to decat my car, as its supposed to make a tremendous difference on the SDI, but don't really want to chisel out my cat just in case.

So does anybody know where I could get a decat pipe from, without having to have a whole stainless system knocked up?
Any info on whether the exhaust system on the other Mk 200s will fit would be appreciated too.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you tell me what longlife is please?

I read your post where you said you'd decatted it, does it make that much difference? Is it quicker? (sorry about all the questions!)
I notice that even with the revs above 2500 I still get a sec or 2 of turbo lag when I open the throttle, I often wonder what it would be like to just get the acceleration straight away

I keep meaning to do it but as my dad is an engineer and anything that goes wrong he has to fix, I always err on the side of caution so I don't p**s him off!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
Longlife is the same as powerflow, custom exhaust fitters all around the country

Decatting a derv improves throttle response quite nicely, and it'll sail through the MOT

My decat cost me £50 ish from Powerflow but as above, you can chisel out the innards of your own for nowt

def. worth doing

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
i had it spinning during hard acceleration in second at around 2300/2500 revs on the damp roads today... whether thats down to the decat/backbox/boost increas i dunno, but it never used to do it! :)

but when you do the decat everything becomes more responsive. the pick up is much improved and i must say the turbos sounds ace when u have no music on..... past 2750 revs mine starts to roar a bit :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so forgive my ignorance and all, but how do you get a decat pipe from longlife/powerflow? I just had a look on their website and of course they're only quoting replacement cats and sporty cats, I want no cats at all!
How long does it take for them to make one up, how much does it cost and stuff like that?
I saw this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10414&item=4509438684&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

is it worth getting and doing the decat on this in your opinions?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
Does anybody have any idea where I can get a cat/decat pipe for a Rover 200 SDI from?

I want to decat my car, as its supposed to make a tremendous difference on the SDI, but don't really want to chisel out my cat just in case.

So does anybody know where I could get a decat pipe from, without having to have a whole stainless system knocked up?
Any info on whether the exhaust system on the other Mk 200s will fit would be appreciated too.
Thanks,
Tom
Mongoose Exhausts from Collins Performance make de-cat pipes with standard flanges - about £70 when I bought mine. I'm not sure if they do them for the diesels but they seem to cover most 200/400s.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A i am in exactly same position. I was going to get a second hand diesel cat, preferably a cheap one thats collapsed inside then chisel out the inards then fit a pipe through middle as someone said it made it a little boomy inside with just the inards removed.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Tom Loughlin said:
Could you tell me what longlife is please?

I read your post where you said you'd decatted it, does it make that much difference? Is it quicker? (sorry about all the questions!)
I notice that even with the revs above 2500 I still get a sec or 2 of turbo lag when I open the throttle, I often wonder what it would be like to just get the acceleration straight away

I keep meaning to do it but as my dad is an engineer and anything that goes wrong he has to fix, I always err on the side of caution so I don't p**s him off!
Get an identical cat from a breakers yard and chisel out its innards.
Have you had it chipped yet - this will certainly cure the lag.
My old 45 had the same 2sec lag every time I changed up or floored the pedal.
Once it was Superchipped, the lag was gone; the decat improved it even more, but ultimately, it takes more fuel to get rid of it.

More fuel = better driveability (apart from the actual power gains) so an Upsolute chip from ccctech.co.uk (approx £295 I think) is worth every penny, though its best to have it done after other mods.

·
Registered
387 Posts
they are not hard to make ,just need a bit of spare time,this photo is the one i made for my 200sdi,cost no more than £20 in total to make,flanges are made of steel and tubing is stainless steel,its a bit grubby now ,its been on my car for the past 7months

Attachments

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
m3swk said:
they are not hard to make ,just need a bit of spare time,this photo is the one i made for my 200sdi,cost no more than £20 in total to make,flanges are made of steel and tubing is stainless steel,its a bit grubby now ,its been on my car for the past 7months
Nice one, the profit for these decat pipes is huge. Often verging on a Rip-off

Guys - a word of warning - IF YOU DECIDE TO GUT YOUR EXISTING CATALYST, DO NOT BREATHE ANY OF THE DUST/FUMES THAT ARE GIVEN OFF - THE CAT IS RICH IN PRECIOUS METALS WHICCH WILL TURN TO DUST FORM, THESE ARE *PROBABLY* DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH

·
Registered
387 Posts
yes major it was definatly worth the effort ,as you say most companys are a rip off and must make a fortune on items like this

1 - 13 of 13 Posts