MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, its been a long time since I posted on these forums.... hope everyone I used to know is well!!

So, I was driving home from work tonight, and my engine just stopped, just like that! It's a 1999 (V) 200, 1.416V. I checked all my fluid levels (oil, coolant etc), and there's no problem with power, the battery is fine... anybody any ideas as to what it could be? when i turn the key the car does try to start, but it never quite kicks in.... if i was to guess, i'd say that there is a problem with getting fuel into the engine; so something along the lines of fuel pump or blocked filter... but i'm really not sure... (I'm an Engineer, not a mechanic for pity's sake!!!! ;-) )

so... any help/advice greatly appreciated! cheers!

Paddy

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Check for a spark at the plugs. If it is weak or not there then have a look at the crank sensor.

Also check the fuel cut off switch hasn't been activated by hitting a large pothole.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Is there a good spark? Does the pump prime when the key is turned to position 2 or not?
Are the plugs dry after continual cranking, no smell of fuel in the bores? If so CPS could be suspect.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers, i'll have a look at those things when i get back from work tomorrow... failing that i'll just use this roadside recovery thing that i've been paying for all year!! :idea:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ignition coil is a rare but possible cause of the problem...

But as above:

1. Check fuel pump priming (Should hear it after turning the ignition on)
2. Check engine cutoff switch
3. Check leads
4. Check plugs
5. Distributor
6. Check spark
7. Crank position sensor
8. Ignition coil

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
timing belt ok ? not snapped ?? had it happen to me on an omega car jsut stopped , spent a while looking at all obvious bits and it twas teh belt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the car's fixed now :) , i'll just mention what it was in case anyone reading this has similar problems...

i checked and found that there was no spark at the plugs; it eventually turned out that the ignition coil had gone...

cheers for everyone's help with it!!

Paddy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts