MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a look through all the threads and didn't find anything that would help me with my problem. This is my first post here and I hope I'm not being totally stupid.
I'm from germany and have just bought myself a 1997 Rover 214. I've already put in a new radio and a set of speakers in the back (fairly easy).
Now i want some new speakers to go in the front doors. I removed the front door panel and had a look at the speakers inside ( d=150mm ).
But how do i put new speakers in? There are 3 screwholes and the old speaker is pressed into some sort of plastic housing. The speakers you get here in germany have 4 srews and can be fitted without having to remove the door panel. So here's the question:
How can i fit a standard 150mm speaker with 4 screws into my Rover 200's front door?

Thanks
Benni

·
Registered
294 Posts
You should be able to fit 17cm speakers in the front, but fitting is
a bit more compliated. The fitting is none standard and you will
need to make an adaptor to fit new speakers - which isn't
particularly difficult. The original speakers have a moulded plastic
surround which is roughly V shaped, two screws at the top and one at
the bottom, you can use this as a template to create an adaptor from
MDF, bolt the MDF adaptor to the door and the new speakers to the
MDF adaptor (add a bit of dynamat to stop rattles).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds good....I think I'll try that.
But what is dynamat (don't know the word) and where can I get it?
And are you sure a 17 cm speaker would fit? The standard 15cm's membranes are nearly touching the door panel.
thanks

Benni

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those pioneers should fit ok.

If you do a forum search & look under 17cm speaker you will get an idea of how other 200 owners have replaced the front speakers.

You can fit replacement speakers without using MDF. I copied this down from another user on this site for you

First take the speakers out of the doors (obviously).

Then use a small but strong flathead screwdriver (has to be very slim) and prise the tabs out that hold the speaker in place (tricky, but possible - it doesnt matter if you damage the plastic a little, but not too much).

Once at least 2 adjacent tabs are undone you can prise the speaker from the plastic (mine was glued down). Then it should come completely off.

Now lay the new speaker into the plastic case - if the speakers are the right size (17cm) the holes should line up with the plastic edge. You will need to turn the speakers a little bit to clear the holes on the speakers from where the tabs went - this doesnt matter as it will be behind the speaker grille and no one will see.

Use the speakers holes to mark where your going to drill pilot holes. Then take the speaker out and drill holes that are around half the width of the screws themselves.

Now you can screw the speaker firmly into place with some self tapping screws. Be careful - you dont want to slip and put the screwdriver through the speaker cone. Make sure the bottom of the screw doesnt come out the other side of the plasic, otherwise the case wont fit back into place properly - if this happens youll need some shorter screws.

Then you can connect the wires up and fit it right back in how it was before.

So there you go - no cutting MDF required, and you still have the shield to stop any water dripping down onto the speakers.

Dynamat is used to stop speaker rattles. click on http://www.dynamateurope.com/ there are several suppliers in germany

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts