MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies of this may have been covered in a previous post but I'm new and I believe water loss problems may be a slight problem on Rovers ;-)

My wife's 1998 'S' Rover 214si 16V has developed a water leak - filling the coolant expansion tank results in a large amount of water almost immediately appearing on the floor under the engine - it appears to come from the area around the top of the engine, perhaps from where the pipe from the expansion tank goes in. Visual inspection is difficult as this area is obscured so I am after a few pointers - expansion tank is fine and hose appears to be fine and connectors tight, at that end anyway.

I'm familiar with the K-Series engines problems with head-gaskets etc but the oil is jet black with no 'mayo' type sludge visible anywhere and this type of water loss is maybe a bit too immediate for this kind of problem?

The strange thing is this happened for a short time late last year and then has been fine over the Winter (although it did still use a slight amount of coolant but nowhere near like now) - maybe a hose cracking/drying out ?

Can anyobe give any specific areas to check ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Is it running down the back of the block or it is it coming from the header tank area? I would have a look around the inlet manifold and feel with your finger for leaks.

Also I noticed you say your oil is 'Jet black'!?:bigeyes:
Oil should NOT be jet black unless you have a diesel? At worst it should be a dark brown colour.
If it's black it will be so full of acid that it will be attacking vital engine components such as bearings. Oil should be changed regularly not just when it goes jet black!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rover 200 - water problems

Ashy - my apologies, I think I was just over-stressing the fact that there is no 'mayo' gunk to be seen in the oil. (I will check it though now you have said that!)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
it would be jet black if you go by rover servicing schedules .

eg 12,000 miles

I would imagine on an engine that has covered over 70,000, it would be jet black after only 2,500 miles

all the best...mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
I would imagine on an engine that has covered over 70,000, it would be jet black after only 2,500 miles

all the best...mark
What brings you to that assumption? What has the mileage got to do with it?

If oil is regularly changed then no matter how old an engine is it shouldn't go black unless there is a problem with the engine and it is eating itself away inside.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
What brings you to that assumption?
UMMM about 23 years of driving and servicing cars that have plus 70,000 on their clocks..and about half a million miles added to them over those 23 years:)

all the best.......mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
UMMM about 23 years of driving and servicing cars that have plus 70,000 on their clocks..and about half a million miles added to them over those 23 years:)

all the best.......mark
So you're trying to tell me that a higher milage car that has had regular oil changes will make the oil black in a few thousand miles?
I don't agree and I doubt many of the other members of this forum who regularly change their oil will either.
There's no reason for it to go black.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
My last Zed oil change had done about 3k ish in 6 months. The oil (mobil 1) wasnt clean and looked like it had been in 12 months or even more.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
lates said:
My last Zed oil change had done about 3k ish in 6 months. The oil (mobil 1) wasnt clean and looked like it had been in 12 months or even more.
But never black surely?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Definately wasnt the light golden colour from when it went in.Without getting out the colour chips it was very dark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rover 200 - leak located

Ashy, ToneDef

Its running down the back of the block and you are both spot on - it appears to be coming from the inlet manifold, the passenger side. The bolt above it shows signs of water-leakage around it.

The question is how do I fix it ?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Remove manifold, replace lower 4 bolts with studs and nuts, replace inlet gasket with later green type. Replenish anti freeze and rebleed the system correctly or you may end up with hgf. Job done in less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
ashy said:
So you're trying to tell me that a higher mileage car that has had regular oil changes will make the oil black in a few thousand miles?
I don't agree and I doubt many of the other members of this forum who regularly change their oil will either.
There's no reason for it to go black.
Well it depends on how many short runs in the winter etc

A car used mainly for long runs and motorway work will keep its oil clean .....just turning a light brown colour in about 3000 miles ..

it is the rich mixture (number of cold starts) that turns the oil black ..and stop start driving ...

my old car was a sierra on LPG

at 160,000...

on petrol it turned its oil black in 1000 miles

on LPG ...it took over 5000 just to turn it light brown.

Proof's the point ..how very dirty a fuel petrol really is.

On a newish engine below 30,000 the dirty combustion of stop start driving and cold starts ...would be less likely make its way past the rings

Or if one was an absolute diligent servicer and changed the oil every say 5000....and only the best oil at that .....i could well imagine the newness of the engine would last a lot longer .

But what i was talking about was your average engine given average services by your average driver.............or given the rover 12,000 treatment...shock horror .............i don't recommend 12,000 mile services.

all the best...mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Are we talking dark brown here or indeed black? Because I've never seen my oil black between oil changes. Well not Petrol anyway. The Mondeo diesel used to get dark pretty quick, but that's to be expected.
Black to me suggests a knackered engine passing to many combustion artifacts in to the oil.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
its black in the bowl..............dark brown when rubbed between fingers...............definatly jet black between the fingers after 12,000 miles.

all the best....mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
its black in the bowl..............dark brown when rubbed between fingers...............definatly jet black between the fingers after 12,000 miles.

all the best....mark
That'll do fer me. I'm sure this thread was about water not oil...:dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts