MG-Rover.org Forums banner
761 - 775 of 775 Posts

· Registered
rover_25
1 Posts
Just done mine using Discount MG Rover Spares ceramic replacement kit

A few tips.
Use the photos on the first page of the thread, they show exactly where everything is and make it a lot easier.

My resistor pack was held in with square headed screws. They tap into plastic so you need a tool to screw them all out. It's best if have a small socket set (invaluable for car work, sting the family for a set for Christmas if you don't have one).

When undoing the resistor pack screws, do the one closest to the side of the car first. It's the hardest to get at and if you undo the other one first, the resistor pack moves around and makes the job harder than it needs to be.

When unsoldering the old resistors and soldering the new ones in place, you'll need to hold the pack in place. I clamped mine in a wood worker's vice - this has wooden teeth and so I was able to do it up tight enough to stay put (you'll be pulling and pushing a fair bit) without damaging it.

Soldering in the three resistor sets is fiddly. There are four contacts. Two of these will have a single resistor soldered to it, the others will have two. Do a single wire first. This then holds that resistor set in place while you solder the other end of it plus the first wire of the other resistor set that goes on that contact.

Of course, if you share my hamfistedness and have a rubbish old soldering iron like I do, it'll be a drama so you have my permission to swear like I did.

Then put it all back together again.

Take your time and it's an easy and satisfying fix. My fan even worked properly after I'd finished. :)

Thanks for the kit Mat.
Thanks for the link, I just bought a set :)

· Registered
rover_25
126 Posts
I just clipped off the old coils at the pins, rather than unsolder them all.

I also found it easier to twist the joined pairs of resistor legs together, in the correct order, so it went 'single, double, double, single'. This kept everything firmly together, & no risk of the previous leg dropping off, when you tried to solder the next leg to the same pin.

· Registered
rover_25
2 Posts
Soldering fun

(...)

The resistance values closest to those used by the manufacturer are,
0.22, 0.68 and 1.5 ohms. Power rating needs to be at least 12 watts or higher
Great info!! I ended up getting 5w resistors. For a first go and for less then 1€ it's worth a try: 2X3 in parallel and adding up to your specs. It seems to be working, and I'll let you know if something gets fried in there.
Cheers,
Rob

· Registered
278 Posts
just sorted my heater, speeds 1 & 2 have been out of action for 4/5 months now has had
work commitments,just been breakers and and got 2 sets one of a civic & one of a 400
all fine now and a sprare set to boot!:rocker:
breakers yard really are a great source for rover spares
thanks for the guide & info folks
regards,mark.:rocker:

· Registered
cityrover
1 Posts
Thanks very much gents, excellent thread full of advice.

Just carried this repair out on the wife's 45 and all's well again.

Point to note though, Maplin don't do 1.5 Ohm resistors any more so I had to double up on 2 of the resistors (1+0.56, 0.56+0.1 and 0.22 to get me as close to the original values as I could get).

Now, where can I find a cheap rocker cover gasket???....................

· Registered
4 Posts
Just a quick update for the above. Item arrived this morning (09/01/16) so decided to do the job straight away. Removed the 2 x 8mm bolts underneath the glove box, pulled out the box, carefully removed the 2 x screws from the faulty resistor and then removed the connector (found this was easier than removing the connector first). Replaced the resistor for new one, put glove box back and then tested the controls 1, 2, 3, and 4.......................all work perfectly.

Once again, thanks for the info guys.

Ady

· Registered
rover_200_95_99
19 Posts
Hi all! Thank you very very much for this useful thread and instructions! :)

Now my Rover 200 gets its working speed "1" again, with a cheap replacement bought on ebay: £3.99 - item number: 381374708411

· Registered
rover_200_95_99
1 Posts
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the instructions, my 200 now has it's 1&2 settings back.

Bought these resistors: SmartSense Heater/Blower Motor Fan Resistor for Rover 200/400/600/25/45 MG ZR/ZS

They seem fairly decent and £4.99 plus free 1st class delivery, can't really complain.

Also wanted to add that if you're feeling confident and not too heavy-handed, you can release the glovebox without removing the bolts by squeezing in the two padded tabs at the top.

Whole job took about five minutes.

· Registered
rover_75_tourer
1 Posts
Here's the culprit.

Release the connector, it's quite tight.

Move the cable aside, to allow access to the securing screws.

Undo the two screws, a stubby cross-head screwdriver is best for this, as the dash moulding gets in the way.
Thanks for all this info and pics just managed to get heat resistor pack for my Rover 200 Cabriolet and changed it this morning. Hardest bit is the 2 scres underneath the glove box. All up and running again. Thanks you so much.

761 - 775 of 775 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.