MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 775 Posts

· Premium Member
79,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rover 200/400 - My heater Fan doesn't work on speeds 1,2 & 3 - "How Do I?"

We get this question pop up many times.
Here's a short article on "How to" replace the heater fan resistor pack on a 1995> Rover 400

Remove the glovebox. Two 8mm bolts secure it at the lower hinged edge. Remove the bolts, press the catch and out comes the glovebox. Magic!

Attachments

· Premium Member
79,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the culprit.

Release the connector, it's quite tight.

Move the cable aside, to allow access to the securing screws.

Undo the two screws, a stubby cross-head screwdriver is best for this, as the dash moulding gets in the way.

Attachments

· Registered
rover_400_95_99
887 Posts
This is quite handy as my heater has just packed up and only works on 3 and 4 not 1 or 2, do you have any handy parts numbers so i can go buy the right part? Also how much is a new one?

· Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,923 Posts
Excellent illustrations Major - Thank you.

As it happens, one by one the five speeds on my 1985 Montego Turbo's heater fan packed up this winter. Speed number 4 the last to do so. I know access means complete removal of the whole fascia which is about half an hours work. Having done that, as I'm handy with the soldering iron I now wonder is there a relatively easy resistor fix or do I wait for one to turn up in a local breakers and get that?

Any advice here appreciated.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Major Ingram said:
I remember replacing those resistors years ago! Split the heater box itself to replace it!

Not sure about any workarounds though, John.
Cool thread Major! :bgrin2:

Everytime I see one of the resistor packs I think they look really primitive, with just the bendy metal on there to increase resistance. Now as you've probably gathered I know very little about electrics etc but surely something a bit more hi-tech can be thought up, maybe using proper resistors or something? Maybe a good mod?? Do the new rovers like the 45/75 use this style resistor pack?

Also, would resoldering the 'springs' fix a blown one?

:D

· Registered
54 Posts
mine had the same problem, not working in positions 1 and 2. I went yesterday to a scrap and got one for £3, yes three poonds.

it was raining heavily... i thought about doing it in a sunny day..but i might be waiting for a long time , especially in Glasgow!!

· Mmmm....Rover..
10,420 Posts
I had to sort this problem on a mates 200 today, rather than buying a new resistor pack I decided to replace the resistors using standard ceramic resistors. I had already done this on my own car a while ago.
More details to follow, Dave I used some of your pics in the tutorial I made up.

1 - 20 of 775 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.