MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where do I start? Okay, left the UK 4 years ago, shipped my vehicle above to the Turks & Caicos Islands, BWI (575 miles South/East of Miami, Florida, USA.

Had the car since 2000, usually runs like a charm. Have been very happy with it.

Last year, the cylinder head went, water in oil, etc, etc, Had a new cylinder head and gaskets and everything shipped from the UK at great expense. Since then, not so great - think they bu**ered up the timing, etc. By and by it has still been running though.

To cut a long story short, time came to replace the transmission fluid - ordered replacement drain plugs from uk, changed oil, filters, etc.

Went to local auto store (small island) to purchase replacement transmission fluid. They knew nothing about CVT (Constantly variable transmission). Asked which fluid to use, none of them stated for use in a CVT. Bought the most expensive alternative (probably a big mistake), vehicle appeared to run fine.

Month later, got a report from my wife saying 'the vehicle will not go uphill'. Sure enough, a test drive showed that I could accelerate fine up to 2000 rpm, but after that - RPM increased rapidly, with no additional power to the drive. If I am doing 40MPH at the bottom of the hill, I am doing about 10 by the time I reach the top!

I have subsequently purchased some Lucas Engineering Engine transmission additive/stop stick, but no improvement.

Guess my main question is - is it the fluid that is at fault, or could it be something else. Also, if it is the fluid, what can I use to replace it and get my baby back in peak condition.

The local mechanics are not exactly experts on English vehicles, and 99% of them have no idea what a CVT is. Shipping vehicle anywhere is not an option - costs over $1000 to ship to USA!

Any help or ideas are welcome, as I have no idea which way to turn.

Many thanks
Paul.

·
Registered
777 Posts
CVT oil is a 'one off' oil for those boxes and nothing else should be used. If it's slipping driving up hills I would think that the steel drive belts inside have worn out due to the wrong oil. It's not a DIY job and I don't think you can get the internal parts anyway, another box (new) will cost £1000/£1200 here. Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd appreciate any info that you can come up with - replacement is not an option at that price - cheaper to buy an on-island used vehicle. When I become rich and famous (I wish) I may be able to go the replacement route! For now, I'll try anything else! On another note - some days it appears to accelerate fine - so I don't think that it is worn out - but as I say, I am looking for options!!

Many thanks
Paul.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Apparently according to my parts man there is only one manufacturer of this oil, the part number is Esso EZL 799 CVT, it takes about 4.5 litres for a drain and refill. The MGR part number is XPT 001000 OF for 25 litres, it is available in 5 litres but he said it has to be specially ordered, and the 5L's are only available as a box of 4X5L's and costs approximately £30.00 for 5L. Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a reply back from a BMW Dealer in the States, saying:-

The only fluid i carry is Esso EZL 799 ATF my part number is 83-22-0-136-376 and it's automatic trans fluid for a MINI cooper and sells for 13.50 a liter. I can't find anything called CVT

I presume this fluid is the one I want?????

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Paulk_201270 said:
I got a reply back from a BMW Dealer in the States, saying:-

The only fluid i carry is Esso EZL 799 ATF my part number is 83-22-0-136-376 and it's automatic trans fluid for a MINI cooper and sells for 13.50 a liter. I can't find anything called CVT

I presume this fluid is the one I want?????
Yes, that is the one you need, it cross references to the rover and unipart CVT fluid.

HTH

Codger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks for all of you brainiacs out there that have helped me in my time of need! I appreciate all the assistance, and will reply once I manage to get the fluid here. I sincerely hope that this solves my problem, if not I am faced with buying a different vehicle on-island seconds hand.

Will keep you all updated and once again, many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
any progress on your situation. I am experiencing the same issues ad I have my car here in bermuda. My situation fits yours to the letter even the wife calling me while i was on business in florida to report the same experience. question? does youes also make a screeching noise when it slips? what baffles me is how it will drive absolutely fine sometimes. I am on the verge of replacing with Honda D16A8 engine, ecu and transmission "not cheap" can't seem to find a transmission replacement which my mechanic tells me i need. I replaced it in sept with a second hand transmission. Please help meeee. i just finish replacing roof and applying a custom paint job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.