MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. wonder if you can help me here.
i ve had a couple of 214si's and rover 25's and even a 200vi.

but this rover 200 1.1 8v seems to be about as economical as my 200vi. and that was a 1.8 vvc.

when i bought the car few days ago, the idle when warm was around 850rpm as expected. i have done few little jobs on car over last few days with coolant system, then when the car was back on the road i noticed that when i first start the car it idles at 1100rpm as exspected when cold (automatic choke) however when the engine gets warm. it still idles at 1100rpm.
and my fuel consumption is poor wouldnt you say around 45miles to a tenner.and thats driving it nice an easy.

now too me this would indicate that the automatic choke might be staying on. but maybe im wrong what do you guys think. and if it is that what is the problem and can i fix it. please give as much info as possible because i not familiar of were the choke sensors or electronics are, pictures would be great. thanks alot .

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
"... I have done few little jobs on car over last few days with coolant system."

What exactly have you done in the cooling system? Did you replace the coolant temp sensor with the correct one? Did you flush the circuit and filled up with new antifreeze (OAT or not)? What else?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well basically the car was getting a little hotter that should of and then went into the red. so obviously i didnt carry on driving at this point. i noticed that the smallest water return pipe (expansion pipe) to resivour was still cold when this was happening.
so i took thermostat out incase it wasnt opening. this didnt make a difference so i put it back in.
only other thing i could think was the pipe was blocked.
so off with the pipe an there to find that as the pipe connects to the resivour it was completely blocked. i un blocked it. an there it was. engine was now not over heeting and coolant was circulating again. thats all i done mate in terms of coolant.
infact. thats all ive done pariod.

any help.
thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If the revs are not returning to the normal RPM of around 850 when hot, then that would point towards the coolant temp sensor not working correctly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It could be that you thermostat has had it and is not regulating the water flow anymore causing all water to cool. This will keep your choke on and cause bad fuel economy.

thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the temperature gauge reads just rite. Just sitting a midges under half. You no how they are.pipes are roastin So i dont think its a temperature problem. Its just basically not coming off choke.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Theres 2 temp sensors 1 shows yer dash reading the other feeds the ecu.

If your thermostate had gone your car would still warm up alittle

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Theres 2 temp sensors 1 shows yer dash reading the other feeds the ecu.

If your thermostate had gone your car would still warm up alittle
This is true but the pipes wouldn't get "roastin" as he mentions above so this still leads me towards the coolant temp sensor for the ecu. It's this sensor that tells the ecu what revs it needs to run at depending on the coolant temperature. If this is faulty then the ecu will not set the revs as it should.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
This is true but the pipes wouldn't get "roastin" as he mentions above so this still leads me towards the coolant temp sensor for the ecu. It's this sensor that tells the ecu what revs it needs to run at depending on the coolant temperature. If this is faulty then the ecu will not set the revs as it should.
I agree with '214 no 1' there its also cheaper to change the temp sensor first.

Have you tried bleeding the rad again just to make sure there are not any air locks?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
System is definatly bled. In car heaters are roastin. All water pipes are roastin like ud expect. And temperature gauge is exac were it should be. Cant understand it at all as it was ok when i bought it but now its not. Only had car 4 days. by the way guys do the chokes still work like they used to in the way that the increase the fuel entering the engine but keep the air mix the same to enable a riches mix for lubrication. Or do modern day chokes just increase revS A little. Because on the old cars if you left choke on if you forget to turn of they start flooding and miss firing an running rough. But my car is doing none of that.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As far as i know nothing like that happens. It is all electrical and there is no cable attached to anything to increase the revs. I think it just increases the revs so it can get everything up to operating temperature quicker. Therefore, if your coolant temp sensor is not working then it won't beable to tell the ecu to lower the revs when it has reached temperature, it still thinks it is cold.

BTW, you have no control over the rev output, this is controlled by the sensor and the ecu alone.

HTH

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well in that case. Being honest 200 revs more than usual for every time you sit at lights is not going to make an awful big difference. So it must not be that causing my 50 miles to a tenner fuel consumption problem. It just gets more difficult dont it guys lol

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There are many reasons why someone gets poor mpg such as tyre pressure, dirty airfilter, incorrect timing, the amount of people in the vehicle, driving style etc.... It could be anything. First thing i would check would be air filter, tyre pressures or maybe just a good service may help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire pressure is ok. Air filter dont look terrible. And there is only me driving in the car. Just dont no

1 - 14 of 14 Posts