MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A hose went the other evening coming home from work and I lost all coolant in a large cloud of steam. I stopped as soon as I could but it took a little time due to the fact I was doing 85 on a motorway in the outside lane. The temp gauge never moved from normal at all. I have replaced the hose and since then done around 150 miles with no sign of hgf. Would it now be apparent if the head gasket was going or have I got away with it? The gasket was changed 10k ago for the metal dowel type.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep an eye on your coolant expansion bottle, looking for sludge or significant rises/drops in levels.

I had HGF, and the signs were there about three weeks before I realised I had a major problem (i'm by no means a mechanic)

I had a leaky water pump changed, and a couple of days later checked the water level to be greeted by snot in the coolant tank, not much, but enough to notice. I put it down to different type of antifreeze in system reacting with traces of the old stuff, causing "snot". Amazing how I can convince myself there is no real problem, with some bu!!5hit excuse.

Three weeks later, big puddle under car of "snot"... 16 hrs later, finished my first HG replacement (felt good!)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that

I am doing all the usual checks etc but I really wanted to know if there is any sort of time period between total loss of coolant and possible hgf occuring because of the loss. I realise the gasket can go at anytime but having done 150 miles since the coolant loss could I be lucky this time?

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts