MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Im new to the forum and was wondering if you can give me some advice.

I have recently brought a p reg rover 100 knightsbridge se with 47.000 on the clock with 8mnt mot for £300. I thought id brought a bargain and i was told all it needed was the auto choke sorting out. Turns out the head gasket is on its way out. It still drives and runs fine but on tick over it pops and splutters. I have just been quoted £450 to get the gasket done and head skimmed but i dont want to spend that ammount as i have been told the car aint worth that much money including the pricei have just paid for it. I am thinking of trying to buy a complete head off of a accident damaged rover at my local breakers yard. Would this just fit straight on and then nee#d timing up, or is it more complicated? I can also get a newer engine out of a car that has done 74k and has service history for £ 120 so would this be easier to just change the whole engine over? Any help much appreciated

Joe

·
Registered
rover_100
280 Posts
id shop around for a few qoutes. if your thinking of swopping engines unless doing that yourself itll cost more than a h/g change and who is to say if you change engines that the new engines h/g wont go pop after a short while.

id look at it this way you bought the car for £300 if u have to spend £300-400 on repairing it its still a bloomin cheap car to use in todays society.

shop around and see who can do h/g for a bit less than £450 imo

·
Registered
21 Posts
id shop around for a few qoutes. if your thinking of swopping engines unless doing that yourself itll cost more than a h/g change and who is to say if you change engines that the new engines h/g wont go pop after a short while.

id look at it this way you bought the car for £300 if u have to spend £300-400 on repairing it its still a bloomin cheap car to use in todays society.

shop around and see who can do h/g for a bit less than £450 imo
£450 is a bit steep... 300-350 is probably near the mark... the head gasket isn't cheap. I got a kit for mine that came in around the £60 a couple of years back and managed to get buy without new stretch bolts or a head skim... it was a risk. Still I managed another 35k out of it so I can't complain

1 - 3 of 3 Posts