MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a long shot, asking for help from all those strange people on that internet place, but I thought it was worth a shot ;)....

I've just been towed home by the AA after the top radiator hose blew on my Rover 100... the thing it, it's the second time that it's happened.

The last time I had just slowed down after coming off of the motorway, and bam, loads of steam all over the shop, and the temperature gauge going through the roof. My parents came up to Brum from down south and my father shuttled me all over the place to get a new hose. We finally found one, attached it, and found that after filling the system up, water wasn't pouring out of the top heating matrix pipe like it should have been.

Applying pressure by sticking the mouth around the top of the expansion tank and blowing made a 'bloop' noise and it started spewing water. Good stuff, looked like some kind of block inside the heating matrix. So, all fixed, and off I go.

Fast forward to a month later, now, and I'm on my way home from my new job in Nottingham (yay for games programming, but not so yay for the 50 mile commute each way), and it blows again. In exactly the same place, at the top of the system, on exactly the same hose, the top radiator hose.

I have no clue as to what is causing it. I realise that overpressure is often a sign of a head gasket going on a K-series engine, but there is no moisture inside the top of the oil cap, which supposedly accompanies the head gasket dying. As I pulled over and stopped the engine the fan didn't go on like it normally does when I stop; but then I had only done 15 miles of my normal 50 before it died. If the fan didn't go on, and that caused the over-pressure, then it may be an electrics problem; the thermostat, f.ex. Alternatively, it could be something else.

And so I turn to you, good Rover-loving people, in the hope that someone can shed some light on my mystery, and perhaps save my Kensington SE from the scrapheap.

For now, I shall go to bed, ready to awake at 0500 and use the joy that is British public transport...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you offer or time you spend mulling over this!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
When you go to the car in the morning ...
before you start it up ....feel the hoses .

If they are hard still from the day before ...and when you take the header tank cap off ..it sounds like your opening a lemonade bottle (car stone cold).........then you have hgf without the oil.

Oil in the header tank is just one of many ways in which a head gasket fails.

Also whilst it is running .............see if you can see bubbles emerging in to the header tank .

One step at a time ...........
Have a look tomorrow ..then report back your findings ...if non of the above .....we will move onto other causes.

all the best.......mark

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Fellblade said:
A bit of a long shot, asking for help from all those strange people on that internet place, but I thought it was worth a shot ;)....

I've just been towed home by the AA after the top radiator hose blew on my Rover 100... the thing it, it's the second time that it's happened.

The last time I had just slowed down after coming off of the motorway, and bam, loads of steam all over the shop, and the temperature gauge going through the roof. My parents came up to Brum from down south and my father shuttled me all over the place to get a new hose. We finally found one, attached it, and found that after filling the system up, water wasn't pouring out of the top heating matrix pipe like it should have been.

Applying pressure by sticking the mouth around the top of the expansion tank and blowing made a 'bloop' noise and it started spewing water. Good stuff, looked like some kind of block inside the heating matrix. So, all fixed, and off I go.

Fast forward to a month later, now, and I'm on my way home from my new job in Nottingham (yay for games programming, but not so yay for the 50 mile commute each way), and it blows again. In exactly the same place, at the top of the system, on exactly the same hose, the top radiator hose.

I have no clue as to what is causing it. I realise that overpressure is often a sign of a head gasket going on a K-series engine, but there is no moisture inside the top of the oil cap, which supposedly accompanies the head gasket dying. As I pulled over and stopped the engine the fan didn't go on like it normally does when I stop; but then I had only done 15 miles of my normal 50 before it died. If the fan didn't go on, and that caused the over-pressure, then it may be an electrics problem; the thermostat, f.ex. Alternatively, it could be something else.

And so I turn to you, good Rover-loving people, in the hope that someone can shed some light on my mystery, and perhaps save my Kensington SE from the scrapheap.

For now, I shall go to bed, ready to awake at 0500 and use the joy that is British public transport...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you offer or time you spend mulling over this!
The coolant system is needing bled before you even start thinking about trying to diagnose any head gasket failure, the K coolant system is an akward bugger to get totally free of air and airlocks. Should be the 8v K-Series in the 100 anyway, different gasket and much less prone to head gasket failure.

To get the system totally free of airlocks, you might need to have the system vacuum filled by a garage.

No white mayo under the oil filler cap only shows that the gasket isn't leaking water into the oil journals, it doesn't show if there is combustion gasses entering either the water or oil at any point, and checking the coolant expansion tank for oil will only show if oil is leaking into the coolant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aboard_epsilon said:
When you go to the car in the morning ...
before you start it up ....feel the hoses .

If they are hard still from the day before ...and when you take the header tank cap off ..it sounds like your opening a lemonade bottle (car stone cold).........then you have hgf without the oil.

Oil in the header tank is just one of many ways in which a head gasket fails.

Also whilst it is running .............see if you can see bubbles emerging in to the header tank .

One step at a time ...........
Have a look tomorrow ..then report back your findings ...if non of the above .....we will move onto other causes.

all the best.......mark
Firstly, thanks for the help. Unfortunately because everything is blown, nothing's goning to be pressurised today, so it's going to be rather hard to test. I was thinking of getting the compression checked at the weekend; I've managed to secure a lift into work today, so I have a little more grace time to get this sorted. I take of board the warning that a moisture in with the oil isn't the only sign that the head gasket could be going.

Nick Birse said:
The coolant system is needing bled before you even start thinking about trying to diagnose any head gasket failure, the K coolant system is an akward bugger to get totally free of air and airlocks. Should be the 8v K-Series in the 100 anyway, different gasket and much less prone to head gasket failure.

To get the system totally free of airlocks, you might need to have the system vacuum filled by a garage.

No white mayo under the oil filler cap only shows that the gasket isn't leaking water into the oil journals, it doesn't show if there is combustion gasses entering either the water or oil at any point, and checking the coolant expansion tank for oil will only show if oil is leaking into the coolant.
It is the 8V K-series. I had been checking the bleed valve on the top radiator hose regularly in case of airlocks there, but hadn't seen anything... doesn't mean there wasn't an air bubble somewhere else that shifted of course.

I shall speak to the garage about a vacuum fill of the coolant system, after replacing the hose. Of course, the nearest motor factor that stocks Rover parts is a good seven miles away, so getting the hose will be fun.

Again, warning taken on board about water in oil / oil in water not having to be present to have the head gasket going.

And again, thank you very much for your time, and your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a small update; the chap who gave me a lift into work yesterday remembered there was a motor factor 30 seconds away from the train station he was taking me to... I now have a top radiator hose, and intend to spend some time over the weekend working out what on earth is going on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts