MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The central locking on my P reg rover 100 3dr doesn't work - it activates and deactivates the alarm/immobiliser and locks/unlocks the boot, but does not lock or unlock either of the front doors. I am a total newbie so would appreciate if anyone could give me any starters into working out what has broken, and what I can do to fix it (or how much it would cost).

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Sounds like the motors have gone. Common problem with the Rockwell units. From dealers you are looking at £45 for the passenger one which has two wires and £65 for the drivers which has 5 wires. You can get them from scrappies but they are just as much trouble. Ebay also has some on but your best bet is change them for some universal ones from Maplins but be warned they need slight modification to fit the doors at the window regulator fouls them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Sejin26: about the maplin universal lock motors, what do you mean by slight modification?

:)

James

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Good advice. The originals sound like a pig in pain. Mods should not be too bad as the Maplin units come with links and mounting brackets so you can position them somewhere that does not cause trouble. If you still have a problem, may be wires form pillar to door have fatigued.

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
Delta said:
Whats the chances of it working on mine if I slit the solonoid casing and pump it with wd40? good idea? stupid idea? worth a try?

It wont work. The teeth on the motor and drive strip as they are plastic, you'll also never be able to put the two pieces back together.

This is a common problem on all triple-m's as they share the same motors.

Strangly the early motors used up to 1988 ish were much better, i have some spares of these and will be fitting them to my own cars.

The maplin motors will be your best, cheapest option.

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
I replaced all 4 door motors in my Rover 100 with Maplin ones (£8 for passenger doors, £10 for the driver) and they're much better. In my 5-door car, the only modification I can remember doing was to tilt the front door motors slightly backwards by moving the lower mounting point about 10mm forward. Hope that makes sense...

You get mounting gear with the motors, and I used the metal strip with lots of holes, along with a couple of small bolts and nuts. Just cut a short length off and mount the motor to the strip and the strip to the car.

I did this about 3 years ago and haven't had to look inside the doors since, but I think that's right. If yours is a 3-door the procedure for mounting might be slightly different, but with a bit of head scratching you'll get there. Definitely well worth it - the motors are much higher quality.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
3 door models require no modifications. Some 5 door ones don't if you open the front door and you see two screws where the door closes (where the latch that closes on the body) then you will have a mounting bracket which WILL accept any motor. This change happen in November 96 on the 114 SLI/114GSI and the 111GSI. All other models still used the standard motor mounted to the door panel and the holes will have a rubber bung in them on the other models.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The kit will work but the motors will not be a straight swap. The kit also includes remote but if you have a Rover alarm I would just hook it up to that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts