MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The 'battery' warning light on my R reg '97 Rover 114SLi came on recently. Testing it with a multimeter, it turned out the alternator wasn't charging the battery at all. So, I'm about to go about replacing the alternator (and belt and voltage regulator while I'm at it).

My first question is about sourcing a replacement alternator. According to the Haynes manual I'm looking for a 55 amp Lucas A127 alternator, and on inspection I'm pretty sure it has an interior fan. Upon searching Google and Ebay, I've found quite alternators listed as Lucas A127 'type' alts. Now I'm unsure whether these are right because most of them appear to have an exterior fan and are different between themselves - I take it A127 is just a general shape? I've attached a few, any suggestions which, if any, are suitable?

Once I've sourced one I'm aiming to put it in myself, for budget reasons. I realise there's already quite a few useful threads detailing some methods that bypass removing the oil filter and supporting the engine, as it suggests in the Haynes manual. Some of them:
Now, I was wondering if theses methods were applicable to my R100, as I don't know if the arrangement under the bonnet of the Rover changed much between it being the 'metro' and it being the '100' and any other time. Specifically, the method suggested by MetroMartin in which the bumper comes off and the alt squeezes past the rad. Also, does the car need to be jacked up doing it this way?

Sorry its a bit of an information overload.
Thanks for the help! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Hi,

The 'battery' warning light on my R reg '97 Rover 114SLi came on recently. Testing it with a multimeter, it turned out the alternator wasn't charging the battery at all. So, I'm about to go about replacing the alternator (and belt and voltage regulator while I'm at it).

My first question is about sourcing a replacement alternator. According to the Haynes manual I'm looking for a 55 amp Lucas A127 alternator, and on inspection I'm pretty sure it has an interior fan. Upon searching Google and Ebay, I've found quite alternators listed as Lucas A127 'type' alts. Now I'm unsure whether these are right because most of them appear to have an exterior fan and are different between themselves - I take it A127 is just a general shape? I've attached a few, any suggestions which, if any, are suitable?

Once I've sourced one I'm aiming to put it in myself, for budget reasons. I realise there's already quite a few useful threads detailing some methods that bypass removing the oil filter and supporting the engine, as it suggests in the Haynes manual. Some of them:
Now, I was wondering if theses methods were applicable to my R100, as I don't know if the arrangement under the bonnet of the Rover changed much between it being the 'metro' and it being the '100' and any other time. Specifically, the method suggested by MetroMartin in which the bumper comes off and the alt squeezes past the rad. Also, does the car need to be jacked up doing it this way?

Sorry its a bit of an information overload.
Thanks for the help! (y)
Just a quick reflection about amperage. I've just had my alternator swapped on my 214 cabby and I would be very surprised if on your R100 the amperage would be more than 65A. Hence the first one within your list shouldn't be a right one.
Have a look: I've found a good used 65A alternator
Hoping it may help.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Reactions: Bacton

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick reflection about amperage. I've just had my alternator swapped on my 214 cabby and I would be very surprised if on your R100 the amperage would be more than 65A. Hence the first one within your list shouldn't be a right one.
Have a look: I've found a good used 65A alternator
Hoping it may help.
I was under the impression that alternators work on a supply and demand basis - so it'll only supply the amperage needed. So, as long as the alternator meets the minimum amp requirement it'll be fine in that respect? I can't say I'm sure.
Hence a higher amperage would be an upgrade with no detriment.

That being said, I now think my current alternator is 65A. I'll elaborate in another post...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I've finally managed to actually have a gander at the alternator in sunlight today.

The part label has the following information on it:
Magneti Marelli A115l-65 (presuming this means 65A)
14 V 17-97
YLE101520
Part #: 63321238A

Also, looking around it gave me a solid overview of what it looks like (it is not like the one in the Haynes manual) so I know what to look for in replacements. It appears that the voltage regulator must be in-built, I imagine in the black 'casing' on the right hand side.

Using the 'YLE101520' reference number I've had more success finding suitable alternators. It seems like alts with the MPN: LRB00221 are suitable. I've found a few, although I'm sceptical of the £25 one...

I think the plan of action is to try to remove the old alternator. If that goes swimmingly, order and install one of the above.

Once again, if anyone can confirm they've taken an alternator like mine out in the way I described above, before I start, it would be much appriciated.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts