MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father drives a 2004 1.8 Rover 75.I know that the coolant tank size is suppose to be an issue but what can he do about it?

If you have to fit a larger tank then where do you buy them from? and are they easy to fit?

Are there any other potential problems that should be modded on this car to ensure its reliability?
Thanks for the help in advance.

John

·
Registered
129 Posts
although the capacity is lacking so long as you check the level at least once a week and make sure any leaks no mater how small are fixed immediately there shouldn't be a problem

I have the 1.8T witch has the same coolant capacity i also tow a caravan so with a turbo and towing in theory my engine should get a lot hotter, a lot of people wouldn't recommend towing but i am more than impressed with the engine, even overtaking on a motorway sloop most of the time in 5th gear, drop a gear and watch the HGV`s get smaller in the mirror

Any way i always check my coolant at least once a week and be for and after long trips i also carry a bottle in the boot just in case

As for any other problems I don't Know, have had my 75 from new had the clutch master cylinder fail in first 1000 miles possibly due to car standing around, now at nearly a year old and 10K everything has been fine, rear tires do wear unevenly, going to have four wheel laser alignment done at service

My friend has a V6 Toyota had something damage his radiator lost coolant overheated new head gasket so all cars are the same if they lose coolant

I used to worry about my 75 but not any more

Mel75

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll 2nd Mel75's comments, I have a ZT 160+ turbo (1.8) with little or no major problems thus far.

It's a Dec 2003 and has done 28k miles. In that time I've had to replace the starter motor, unique part on the turbo but only £149 exchg from Xpart.

I also check the water once a week which proved to be a good thing as a couple of weeks ago I needed to add some water which was unusual. A week later, more water! O-oh head gasket I thought, WRONG!. The radiator has developed a hairline crack between the core and the side tank and is leaking when hot. A quick call to Xpart and a new rad is on it's way. Once done I'm confident the coolant loss will be fixed.

Moral of the story don't panic, don't believe the rot but DO check regularly just in case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my 1.8i non turbo has been 100% so far touch wood and all that. just done not far short of 3000 miles last week to italy and back in tempratures of 30c most days. i found that if i fill the header tank to the line she will blow out some water and hold the level around 1-2 mm below the full mark. so she has found her own level. had the car for 11 months now and has 16.600 on the clock when i bought it it had 4000 on it so not to bad in 12 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts