MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just taken my MGTF for it's 1st service, the car is less than 18months old I bought it from new it has done 5K only hardly used. The inside of the roof was going mouldy and the rear brake discs are rusting to bits.. Dealership offered to clean the mould off but said it was my fault because I dont use the car that much, Leaving it standing will let the car rot.

They said the brake discs had corroded because of the same thing, they said they would pay for one to be replaced but I would have to pay for the other, they say it is not covered by warranty and would replace one as as goodwill!!! I'm fuming I disagree the car should not rot to pieces just because I dont use it in the winter. Do I have a case not to pay for replacement discs? Any advice please!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
melp_s ... do you keep the car in a garage ?... if you do its not uncommon that mould will develop ... as for brake discs... if you wash your wheels within 30mins they will start to oxidise if left wet (all brake discs do this)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I dont keep it in a garage, It is used throughout winter but only for a quick spin to keep everything ticking over. Do I have a calim on warranty for the discs?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry, but I agree with the dealer. Because my car doesn't get used that much either, I also have problems with rusty discs. I keep a couple of big bags of silica gell in the car during the winter to stop it getting damp - don't have a problem with moundy hood.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I dont think you would have a claim under waranty,as usually only in the first year would a set of discs be replaced,after that its always "wear and tear".

Also Ive noticed on mine on the rare occasion its left out in the rain...the rain splatters through the alloys onto the discs and hey presto....rusty discs!
A good run around with plenty of braking gets them up to shiny standards in no time.
PLUS you can use that as an excuse for a good pose round for no reason!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
melp_s said:
Ive just taken my MGTF for it's 1st service, the car is less than 18months old
Surely your car should have been serviced after a year (12 months or 15k miles). If your dealer had been a stickler he could have declared your warranty nul and void.

·
Registered
mg_tf
323 Posts
Sorry to disagree with everyone but I don't think melp_s should be paying for the disc problem. 18 months and only 5000 miles is a little soon for discs to be corroded to the extent that they need to be replaced.

I can't see how the garage can say that they have corroded because the car has done little running: they haven't had the usual wear inflicted by friction material being clamped on them and the initial surface corrosion that you can often see appear overnight on wet discs should have provided some protection to the disc underneath. Running the car more frequently would wipe that layer of corrosion off each time for new to appear straight after.

Sounds like a Sale of Goods Act 'not fit for purpose/not of merchantable quality' claim to me.

I must say, though, that I'm surprised the warranty is still valid after missing the first service at 12 months!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts