MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replaced the rotor arm and distributor cap on my rover 216. the haynes manual says i need to replace the bolt that holds on the rotor arm is this necessary? and if it is where can i get one. any help will be appreciated!! thanx

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
if it means a nylock nut, then you will get away with a bit of locktite. or if the nylon is in good condition, just use it again.

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
I've answered this one before, but people don't believe the answer.
The reason it is supposed to be replaced is that the thread loc used is in the form of micro encapsulated beads which only work once. The coating they leave behind does not stick to Loctite and so the screw falls out and the rotor falls off. It happened a lot during development and it happened once to me.
If pushed, you can clean the threads with a tap and die then use Loctite.

Please don't bother to answer that you've reused them lots of times and never had a problem, I've seen too many failed ones.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Just make it tight and it will be fine. Theres no way that bolt will work it's way loose because they are usually pretty tight anyway unless it's been removed many times before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okie dokie thanx for everyones help, if i was going to get a new bolt does anyone know where i can get one from? if theyre easy to get hold of i might aswell replace it otherwise i wont bother

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
ashy said:
Just make it tight and it will be fine. Theres no way that bolt will work it's way loose because they are usually pretty tight anyway unless it's been removed many times before.
They were designed to be as tight as hell when the thread loc is working because THEY FALL OUT otherwise.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
1955diesel said:
They were designed to be as tight as hell when the thread loc is working because THEY FALL OUT otherwise.
I mean even when re-used.
g5dwill said:
okie dokie thanx for everyones help, if i was going to get a new bolt does anyone know where i can get one from? if theyre easy to get hold of i might aswell replace it otherwise i wont bother
Not sure, maybe partco or even local motor factors. If you are unsure then just replace it for your own piece of mind. However it doesn't worry me to re-use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts