MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty, been meaning to get around to this for some time but thought i would make a progress thread especially for the ti

As some of you may know last year i purchased (on impulse whilst drunk) a Rover 620ti, and my god had it been thrashed, this thread is basically showing my progress on restoring it to its former glory as well as having some fun along the way

For those of you that havnt seen him before, welcome to Tango

He's a 1999 620ti with 120k miles on the clock, though it has been looked after at some point in the past, it has also been thrashed by one or more of the 7 previous owners, and he is really showing signs of age, as of typing the current issues are:

Rust on the N/S rear wheel arch
Rust holes on both rear wheel arches behind the rear bumper
Surface rust on the rear window surround
Rust patch on drivers door
Worn seats
No catalytic converter
power steering fluid leaking from both pipes on reservoir
Windscreen trim missing rubber seal
Rear view mirror fell off taking a chunk of glass with it
Head lining sagging
Paintwork is in bad condition
Tyres rubbing very slightly on full lock [kinda my fault]
MAP sensor issues

Since purchase i have done the following:

Shocks replaced with Bilstein B8's
CV joint replaced
top ball joints replaced
Stretched tyres removed [cant stand them] replaced with Yokohama Advans
Dodgy threaded wheel nuts replaced
Oil catch can installed
Rear brake calipers replaced
Speakers replaced with JBL GTO's
Added a stereo [didnt come with one for some reason]
Replaced clutch master cylinder
Changed the oil
Brake discs and pads replaced with Mtec ones, quickly realised they where garbage
Replaced front bearings
Brake discs and pads replaced with Tarox / Ferodo
Bled brakes and clutch with millers DOT5.1 fluid
new coil pack, spark plugs and Magnacore red leads
OMP suede racing wheel
Rover 800 vitesse Recaro seats
Standard new fuel injectors
Installed Greddy Profec 2 boost controller
Forge dump valve

a few other bits and bobs i did, upon investigating a coolant leak on the turbo, i discovered the housing was very badly cracked, this goes some way to explaining why i was having weird boost issues, this came just a week before i was due at Snetterton for a track day, thankfully i got a hold of a Garrett GT2860RS (disco potato) ball bearing turbo, with a few modifications to oil and water lines as well as a new wastegate actuator i managed to get it to fit, sadly there was not enough time for proper tuning as i ran into the dreaded T-series threaded exhaust stud issue and by the time i had got someone to time-cert the head there was no time for anything

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
On to Snetterton it went, running wastegate pressure with a 6psi spring i was still getting 115mph (indicated) down the back straight, it ran well throughout the day but did have issues with heat, or too much of it, i boiled the brake fluid, power steering fluid and clutch fluid, the coolant temps where getting pretty sketchy too but overall an incredibly fun day, wiped the smug grins of a lot of more expensive stuff too as i tootled past:

I was really impressed with how well it performed on track, despite the horrific body roll it stuck very well, in the last picture the rear wheel is almost off the floor too! even on 6psi it was keeping up with BMW's and things it really has no right keeping up with

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After snetterton the car got ignored for a while but slowly things began to get sorted, after just 2 laps of track abuse the Mtec front brakes warped so badly i thought the wheel was coming off, so i invested in a full set of Tarox discs and Ferodo race pads

Once that was sorted i went on to solving a few other heat related issues, mostly with the intercooler, the standard 620 side mount cooler is shared with the L series diesel unit, and its utter garbage at the best of times, a quick visit to GBE's website and £480 later i end up with a much larger front mount intercooler

This does sadly mean i had to lose the (working) air conditioning, though hopefully in time i will be able to find a new matrix and some custom pipes to get it working again.

Interior wise is still pretty neglected, i installed an OMP racing wheel mostly to get rid of the dodgy 21 year old Takata airbag but also the smaller wheel lends itself better to track days

I also did a little fettling of the centre dash, i always proffered the Honda style cubby that flips up and covers the stereo, that way i can keep it looking standard whilst also having some performance gadgets hidden away when not been used

the little blue box is a Greddy profec spec 2 boost controller, works really rather well

I also installed some rover 800 recaro seats, these hug you way better than the standard ones, they are a bit tatty but they do their job well

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On to solving some other issues, the power steering was not only boiled at snetterton but had also been leaking from the cooler since i had purchased the car, so i got busy with some copper pipe, heatshrink and black paint and made myself a new cooler, bolted it to the old air con mount holes on the rad, hopefully this will be a little better than the single loop cooler:

And thats where we are at, in 2 days i am attending a private track day at donington, sadly the weather isnt looking at all good, but with any luck all of the upgrades will keep the temperatures down and make the car more competitive, i will be able to run twice the boost of snetterton now i have the controller although a last minute failure of the MAP sensor may prove challenging, im hoping it doesnt ruin the day (or blow up)

Pictures and maybe a video to come

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The day before the track session a massive boost leak from that stupid rubber spacer decided to happen, i didnt have enough time to take it off and seal it properly so some tigerseal, gorilla tape and cable ties later

thou

shalt

not

leak

Donington was a bit of a flop, upon arrival the track was wet and greasy, like a total spanner i opted to strap the gopro to the outside of the car so all i got was a wet lens and wind noise, so all the footage is useless, likewise i only managed to get 1 picture on the track and it wasnt a very good one

On the plus side throughout the morning it ran faultlessly, managing to pass several cars i really shouldnt have been such as a V8 5 series BMW, a supercharged Audi S4 and a stripped out track prepped MX5, oh and that Peugeot too.

Then the problem started, all boost suddenly dissapeared, the engine ran fine but just had no boost, we quickly found out it was the turbo actuator arm had become stuck, this issue continued throughout the afternoon so i had to call it a day early, dissapointing but nevertheless i had fun whilst it lasted.

Some pictures from later in the day when it was parked up, its surprising how much attention this old rover gets, a few people at the day didnt even know what it was

The journey home was easy, i love how happily this car sits at motorway speeds even without boost, the only 1 thing it really needs is cruise control

As for now, we are in the middle of attempting to buy a house so the car will be neglected for a little bit, though it will be fixed in time for the next track session in early march, will keep you all updated as things progress.

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright then, about time for another update

Latest track day was Snetterton again, this time with a larger intercooler and much much better brake discs and pads, the weather was dry and warm and once again the car has boost problems, surprise surprise, it spikes to 10psi then drops to 8psi despite having a 12psi wastegate spring, i still have no idea why its doing it but i will keep faffing with it

Some pictures of the day:

The body roll is still pretty horrendous though it handles just fine, aside from the weird boost problem i also had a CV boot come off again, this time i didnt realise in time and have cooked a CV joint, not a big problem but annoying nonetheless, also the car supped £100 worth of petrol which was oddly more than the Mclaren that was also going round

Next track date is November, off back to Donnington again whereby i will hopefully have the turbo problems sorted

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
At least its being saved and enjoyed!

What suspension options do you have?

Any thicker swaybars you could use?

Strut braces?

Do any Honda parts swap over?

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suspension is currently Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs, i beleive they are 20/30mm ones, i do have some that are lower than that however this causes issues with the tyres rubbing on the arches, i could go down the coilover route but i have been there and done that before on a ZS and after 2 years they had rotted out completely (GAZ gold ones too)

Sadly i dont have any thicker ARB's and i have no idea where id go about getting some either, the body roll is fairly horrific though to be fair the handling is pretty damn good for a barge anyways, strut braces would need to be custom made, the only Honda part that does swap over iirc is the rear upper strut brace, the front one doesn't fit over the T-series engine and as far as i know there where never any lower ones made for either the rover or Honda

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Sounds like a good base to start experimenting with getting your own made, my mate is a total
numpty and a bit of a gorilla lol, he managed to make a strut brace for his track car out of bits and
bobs, nice weekend project i'd say, make up some cardboard templates of the strut tops and get
some 3mm or 5mm sheet steel and go play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts