MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I know this topic has been covered a couple of times, but i just wanted to make sure.
I've just ordered a 7" roof mount screen and was looking for some electrical advice.
I intend running it with a standalone DVD player that i'm going to mount under the passenger seat. I was hoping on running the cable for this across the roof lining and down where the seat bealt cover is.. does anyone see any probs with that ?
Also, where is the easiest place to get power from for the screen in the roof and also the DVD player if its under the seat ?
I dont have a sunroof by the way.
As ever, all your help would be appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
DVD Power

I installed a roof mount screen with built in DVD player in my 75. I took the power from the radio. Ran two wires above the roof lining to the drivers A pillar and then under the steering column and to the rear of the radio. This means the dvd is switched from the ignition like the radio.

You could do the same and drop cables down the B pillar at the same time to power the DVD player under the seat all from the radio?

Hope this helps!

ikorodu

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply, a couple more questions :)
How easy was it getting wires passed from the TV/DVD across the headlining ?
Did you scotch lock the wires the the power wires at the back of the radio ?
Dont suppose you remember what colours the live and earth wires were ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not too bad getting the cables across. Used a welding rod to help hook the wires trough the roof lining. Scotch locked as you sugested. Sorry can't remember which colour the wires were.

ikorodu

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again ikorodu

Another question if u dont mind :)

What did you use for audio ?
The screen i have has power connections and a video in rca connector, so i'll have to take the audio left and right rca connectors from the dvd player for sound, my question is... is it possible to take the left and right rca connections to the car stereo to play the audio thru the stereo ?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll have to pass on that one!

The unit I got had built in speakers, which are not bad actually (ok for Fireman Sam anyway!). It can also connect to IR headphones if you want to listen to the radio whiles the kids watch summat else. This was the main reason I went for the screen/player in one as there was no fiddling with the audio side of things.

Any way I'm sure that there must be a way to use the radio's speakers, possibly throught a cd changer socket?

Sorry can not be of more help!

ikorodu

ps this is the unit I have http://www.inest.co.uk/range.asp?typeid=703&sizeID=
but I got mine for £80 on ebay, best £80 I have ever spent. keeps kids amused on long journeys!

pps just saw this on ebay http://tinyurl.com/23nkmm
this has an FM transmitter so you can tune it in on the radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts