MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIYA,anyone got a roof mounted dvd player in a 75 with sunroof ....question any problems fitting this item i want to get one thanks brian (cockney boy)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This isn't anything to do with the other thread started by REVOL by any chance is it? Two people asking about top-mounted DVD screens on the same day is unusual to say the least!

Looking at it very quickly the wiring disappears up and backwards - so depending on where you position it then you should get away with any fouling problems. It needs someone who has such a system in place to confirm though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hi
there is no problen on mounting it if you have sun roof, as i have seen 2 in my local dealer , but the problem will be the alarm sistem,,if you have on the roof,,,,,i do not know if there is space enought,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi, i have a roof mounted motorized screen which duplicates the picture from the my jvc in dash dvd player. I mounted it just behind the sunroof but had to move the little alarm sensor back to do it. once the alarm sensor was moved back there was a small hole left from the alarm sensor cable which was used to feed monitor cable through. Also the sunroof when opened will not interfere with the screen/dvd as there is a metal plate between the sunroof and headlining. here are some pics of screen and player.

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is an aftermarket monitor by the way, manufactured by "Necvox" . was bought from ebay for £80 brand new inc postage which I thought was good value. If you do a search for necvox on ebay it will bring them up. make sure you buy from a uk based seller if purchasing though as the customs charges by purchasing abroad can add a fair bit to final price. This item number is for the guy i bought mine off "9732617938". Ignore the £125 price and click make an offer and put £75, I did and it was accepted. this one is also motorized, a lot of them are not. This is just a monitor though although others have built in dvd players and are about £160.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
What is actually involved in fitting these roof mount screens?

How many holes?
How big are the holes?

is the roof lining strong enough to support the weight or are they fitted in addition to the roof itself?

anyone got a typical set of PDF instruction?

·
Registered
rover_75
209 Posts
Really like the installation of the roof top screen, I have the high line nav system with the AV input does anyone know if this be intergrated with a dvd player in the boot?

Malcolm

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Assuming you have the AV input actually wired up and working then yes you can pump any NSTC source into it you like PC, DVD etc,

It will not show anything whilst the car is moving and the sound is only mono with the standard radio.

If you need the cables then "Adaptershop" on ebay is a good places to start, mine cost about £15

Not a particularly hi-fi solution etc for DVDs a dedicated screen and headphones as above is a better option

or a roof mounted screen that can connect to the VGA connector on a Car PC would be my ideal as then as I already have a CarPC I could control it from my nav screen

running a long VGA cable from the roof to the boot cleanly might be a bit of a challenge though!

Any PC compatable ( at least a resolution of 800x600) roof mounted screens installed out there?

·
Registered
220 Posts
my particular model only requires a small hole which was left from moving my alarm sensor anyway. the brains of the monitor is under the dash with power etc connected there and then a single cable goes from this to the monitor . I ran the cable up from under the parcel shelf and under the plastic trim up the side of the windscreen and then across to the monitor. A metal plate is screwed to the headlining and then monitor is clipped and screwed to this. running the cable took me an hour and involved removing the said plastic trim from side of windscreen which just pulls off and also the plastic trim where the seatbelt comes out of on door pillar, then remove the black rubber seal from around the headlining above the door and feed cable through. Ill take some pictures later of the monitor removed so you can get a better idea of how its fixed to headlining. The headlining is strong and there are no rattles etc once fitted and looks pretty original as its the same colour as the headlining.

·
Registered
220 Posts
the first three pics are of the parts you need to remove namely the plastic trim from windscreen edge and door pillar, also front passenger roof handle and rubber door edging so roof lining can be pulled down, I also removed the surround which goes around the sunroof apature to make mounting the plate easy. The hole you see in the roof lining beneath metal plate is what was left from removing alarm sensor. To remount the alarm sensor i just made another hole the same size as this further back and remounted the sensor. the alarm sensor wiring at first looks like it wont reach to the rear of headlining but thats just because its glued in place near the original hole, a swift pull from within the headlining and it brakes the glue and is plenty long enough.The brain for the monitor is under the dash and is about the size of a box of matches so no problem hiding it. the last picture is to show where the monitor screws to the plate.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
How do you find the quality of the JVC unit. That is on my wish list at the moment. Do they do an adapter so that the steering wheel controls work?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think you can get an adapter but by memory its quite expensive and i never used to use the steering controls anyway. Have just come back from a camping trip to amsterdam and it kept my passengers entertained all the way.
It also plays mp3s so i have all my favourite albums on one disk. The head unit screen is really clear and sharp and although its quite small is easily watchable.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Yeah I like the fact that it plays GIGA MP3's, ie - MP3's on a DVD, rather than CD-R.

My only concern is that it is probably illegal to operate in the UK, due to the driver being able to view the screen.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you wire it up as per the manual then the picture will switch off when driving although any additional screens you have connected will still have picture. Also it has dual zone capability meaning that i can have the radio on and coming out of the car speakers but the rear passengers can watch a film and get sound through infra red headphones as my roof screen has built in infra red transmitter.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
If you wire it up as per the manual then the picture will switch off when driving although any additional screens you have connected will still have picture. Also it has dual zone capability meaning that i can have the radio on and coming out of the car speakers but the rear passengers can watch a film and get sound through infra red headphones as my roof screen has built in infra red transmitter.
Evening mate, can you please empty your pm box. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts