MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I got one of these earlier in the week (the TU3B1 for the 116bhp engine) and It is fantastic.......Its a different car.

I have made a few observations that may benefit other members when considering a tuning box.

Firstly, (before I got the tuning box) My MAF was very out of spec...........I unplugged the MAF and drove about 1000 miles before I got it replaced under warranty. With it unplugged I found the bottom end torque really good......only downside being the lack of power above 3500rpm, worse fuel consumption and slightly more engine vibration/roughness especially at idle.

I got the brand new MAF fitted, and actually found that although the engine was smoother and more economical, the great low down torque experienced while the MAF was unplugged had gone (top end power was much better)

I guessed that while the MAF (and IAT) was unplugged the ecu used the default temp of 8 degrees. as the air temp while I was driving with it unplugged was always around 15 degrees, the engine would be overfuelled thus causing the rougher running and greater torque?

So I think even if you have a brand new MAF like me, A MAFAM might still be worth considering? (or the synergy, although I like having the 8 settings on the TU3B1)

I will get one myself in the near future after I have conducted my fuel economy trials!!

I commute about 250 miles a week on an identical 50 mile round trip, and hope to produce like for like fuel consumption figures for each of the 8 settings on the TU3B1. I am trailing setting 6 at the moment.........but I really want to conduct my experiments when I can test all the settings at roughly the same temperature.......ie when we get into summer.

Excuse the long post.........but I Love my tuning box and Rover 75!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have had Ron's TUB3 since it came out (setting 5) - I do 500 miles per week so I have done quite some thousands of miles and I can say that I have not noticed any real difference in MPG....

Great Product !

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
booke23 said:
Hi all,

I got one of these earlier in the week (the TU3B1 for the 116bhp engine) and It is fantastic.......Its a different car.

I have made a few observations that may benefit other members when considering a tuning box.

Firstly, (before I got the tuning box) My MAF was very out of spec...........I unplugged the MAF and drove about 1000 miles before I got it replaced under warranty. With it unplugged I found the bottom end torque really good......only downside being the lack of power above 3500rpm, worse fuel consumption and slightly more engine vibration/roughness especially at idle.

I got the brand new MAF fitted, and actually found that although the engine was smoother and more economical, the great low down torque experienced while the MAF was unplugged had gone (top end power was much better)

I guessed that while the MAF (and IAT) was unplugged the ecu used the default temp of 8 degrees. as the air temp while I was driving with it unplugged was always around 15 degrees, the engine would be overfuelled thus causing the rougher running and greater torque?

So I think even if you have a brand new MAF like me, A MAFAM might still be worth considering? (or the synergy, although I like having the 8 settings on the TU3B1)

I will get one myself in the near future after I have conducted my fuel economy trials!!

I commute about 250 miles a week on an identical 50 mile round trip, and hope to produce like for like fuel consumption figures for each of the 8 settings on the TU3B1. I am trailing setting 6 at the moment.........but I really want to conduct my experiments when I can test all the settings at roughly the same temperature.......ie when we get into summer.

Excuse the long post.........but I Love my tuning box and Rover 75!
Your findings with the maf/maf unplugged/new maf are spot on and nicely explains what happens when it 'goes off'.

A mafam will boost the bottom end, but with a new maf fitted, you can over fuel the engine and will be rewarded with smoke and slightly worse fuel consumption. So only a very low setting is needed though this can be increased as the maf deteriorates.

I have been using a Pierbugh maf and Synergy, plus I've made an intake mod and turned up the boost a couple of psi as well as cleaned the egr valve. Details on my 75home page
http://45zs.info/75Zt/R75home.htm#7

I can now feel a distinct 'second wind' at 3500rpm in the lower gears. I've hit the rev limiter a few times in 1st & 2nd - yes, there is one!! So maybe I'll see 150+bhp on the dyno.
I managed 47.5mpg on a 220 mile round trip to the west coast on thursday, the car went very well indeed even on setting 0, and the 215 Hankook 105s were superb - grip without noise, tramlining or harshness.
What a car!

Ron

·
Registered
rover_75
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rover_ron said:
Your findings with the maf/maf unplugged/new maf are spot on and nicely explains what happens when it 'goes off'.

A mafam will boost the bottom end, but with a new maf fitted, you can over fuel the engine and will be rewarded with smoke and slightly worse fuel consumption. So only a very low setting is needed though this can be increased as the maf deteriorates.

I have been using a Pierbugh maf and Synergy, plus I've made an intake mod and turned up the boost a couple of psi as well as cleaned the egr valve. Details on my 75home page
http://45zs.info/75Zt/R75home.htm#7

I can now feel a distinct 'second wind' at 3500rpm in the lower gears. I've hit the rev limiter a few times in 1st & 2nd - yes, there is one!! So maybe I'll see 150+bhp on the dyno.
I managed 47.5mpg on a 220 mile round trip to the west coast on thursday, the car went very well indeed even on setting 0, and the 215 Hankook 105s were superb - grip without noise, tramlining or harshness.
What a car!

Ron
That boost increase must be worth at least a few bhp by itself!

I will adopt your intake mod...........an added benefit of your mod is that the intake is not right at the front of the slam panel anymore........got to be good to help prevent water spray ingress.

I also plan to have the EGR out for a clean......do you still have yours disabled?

BTW The morning after I fitted the box, I ended up behind a ZT CDTI on the sliproad onto the motorway.....Left him in a cloud of my dust when I booted it.......In fact I reckon there are few diesels which could keep up with a 75 with a tuning box.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
booke23 said:
That boost increase must be worth at least a few bhp by itself!

I will adopt your intake mod...........an added benefit of your mod is that the intake is not right at the front of the slam panel anymore........got to be good to help prevent water spray ingress.

I also plan to have the EGR out for a clean......do you still have yours disabled?

BTW The morning after I fitted the box, I ended up behind a ZT CDTI on the sliproad onto the motorway.....Left him in a cloud of my dust when I booted it.......In fact I reckon there are few diesels which could keep up with a 75 with a tuning box.

I have left the egr connected, I tried leaving the vac pipe off for a couple of months, but couldn't feel much difference.

Even fewer can keep up in top gear, mind you, many have 6 speed boxes.
Still, what's the point of having all that diesel torque and still having to drop a cog to keep up with a humble Rover 75!
(Bring back electronic overdrive I say - no clutch press needed just push the button - or even a switch on the loud pedal and negligible losses compared to auto boxes.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have just fitted my 75 with the TU4 + intake mod and it is a completely different car! :)

It just hurtles between 1600rpm and 4600rpm.....I am having to restrain my enthusiasm (and wheel spins LOL).....

Boost adjuster and boost guage next and by then we should be looking at 150bhp with any luck.....

Well done Ron, the box is brilliant and so well made....good value for money and highly recommended!

BR Jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got my TU3b today, fitted it and flicked around with settings, finally got to setting 5 and decided that was more than enough!!

Fantastic, makes the car feel new again

Chuffed to pieces many thanks Ron

·
Registered
rover_75
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes......it's truely brilliant.

Had huge grinning session on the way home from work today when I totally outdragged a teenager in a souped up corsa...........t'was funny because I was driving fairly sedately on normal A road which becomes a dual carrageway....

.....the little pleb was tailgating me so closely I could see the stains on his front teeth..........when I booted it on the dualcarrage way, the rate at which he bacame smaller and smaller in the mirror was amazing.....

The brilliant thing about the tuning module, is that the faster you go the more advantage you seem to have............the acceleration just keeps on.....right up to the top speed.

Anyway, I have been testing setting 6 for economy, and my initial provisional figure is 49mpg.

Thats over a measured 330 miles. On the way to work i do cruise at 2000rpm in 5 gear, which on my tyres, is about 57mph..ish.....But I am known to floor it from time to time!

I'll be very interested to see what Ron's car produces on the Dyno with his recent mods.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am keen to get Ron's next BHP update too, must be 150bph+!

Have found with the TU4 and the in-car switch that Ron's 'economy' setting is great for everyday use....very flexible and tractible....great in 5th gear from 55mph+ which is just what I was looking for....makes the Rover an outrstanding motorway car....

What is setting 10 on the new TU4 (balls-out! LOL) is great for when you fancy the same driving experience as having a petrol turbo on tap....brilliant fun and oh so fast!....an excellent A-Road setting for making outstanding progress.....so with the incar switch you can transfer between these at you leasure, which is nice :)....

BR Jason

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
booke23 said:
I'll be very interested to see what Ron's car produces on the Dyno with his recent mods.

I'm hoping to get it done next week.

Its going to be difficult to say which mod has had what effect.

Compared to the last dyno run, its now got:

Pierburgh maf
Synergy
Intake mod
Clean egr valve
Small boost increase

On the downside, the wider tyres may have more rolling resistance.

Ron

·
Registered
rover_75
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had an interesting experience today.

I was driving down my local dual carrageway, and a Brand new saab 9-3 1.9tid sport passed me.....he looked like he was in a hurry.

Anyway at the next set of lights he was stopped by himself and I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little drag with him.

Lights went green, and although I probably was slightly faster initally, he ended up spanking me to 70 mph.

That saab produces 150bhp and 236lb/ft of torque.........and weighs 300kg more than the 75......although I was carring a few people, so was probably about 150kg lighter than him.

My box is on setting 6.......i should have given him a better run for his money.

I'll really have to replace that air filter and do the intake mod .....and I bet my egr valve is disgusting too!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i here what you are all saying about this box....and to be frank it sounds ace....does it improve on the standard top speed at all?....if so by how much....fed up of running out of steam @ 115mph..and then waiting a couple of mins for the 120mph flat out to get here....all done on a german autobahn ofcourese :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
stef_uk said:
i here what you are all saying about this box....and to be frank it sounds ace....does it improve on the standard top speed at all?....if so by how much....fed up of running out of steam @ 115mph..and then waiting a couple of mins for the 120mph flat out to get here....all done on a german autobahn ofcourese :)
Maybe by 1 or 2 mph Stef but thats all. The problem is the gearing - at 120 you are doing 4,000rpm and the power drops away. You need a 6th Gear really and a bit of extra power too!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ti Rich said:
Maybe by 1 or 2 mph Stef but thats all. The problem is the gearing - at 120 you are doing 4,000rpm and the power drops away. You need a 6th Gear really and a bit of extra power too!

Don't forget the speedo and tacho aren't accurate.

The mph/1000revs is about 28.5 so 4000rpm equals 114mph.

120 would need 4200rpm and that is indeed past peak power.

Ron

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Good point Ron!

We also know that a faultly MAF will make the power drop off sooner - see the superchips power curves on their website. So make sure yours is working fine.

Clean EGR and Air filter will help. So too will the intake mod.

My car has no problem going it to the red now and gets to 120 quite quick (not taken it above that yet...)

Remap or TU3/4 it makes no difference the main problem is gearing and the fact that once past about 4,000rpm the power drops away.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ti Rich said:
Ron

Has the car been on the dyno yet?

We are all waiting...........
Not yet - I have been too busy to have it done or even to do any more with the bcv.

I will see if they can fit me in next week, assuming I can spare the time.

I should have received the BMC air filter I ordered in time for the dyno though.

Ron

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Booked for dyno runs wed 7th.

BMC filter fitted.

Planned tests:

1) Everything switched off. Pierburgh maf fitted so loss of torque below 2000rpm expected compared to my orginal 'good' Bosch maf, but will set a baseline for the following tests.
2) Synergy maf section only

3) Tu3 only

4) Both

My laptop will be logging the boost pressure at the same time.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the baseline run in view of the intake mod, BMC filter and small boost increase compared to the very first 'before' run in November when everything was standard.

Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts