MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of splashing the cash on silver roll hoops and windbreaker on my beautiful MGTF!
Any thoughts on the best buy and best quality unit easy to fit to my 2004 MGTF?
Many thanks, Mick

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,093 Posts
When declaring the hoops to the insurance co, call them style hoops!

Other than the MGF Centre and Mike Satur I am not sure what other choice is available for new hoops. They do crop up second hand on eBay and the like but the hoops are often found not to come with all of the brackets.

MGF Centre - Store - Hoops & Windstops

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When declaring the hoops to the insurance co, call them style hoops!

Other than the MGF Centre and Mike Satur I am not sure what other choice is available for new hoops. They do crop up second hand on eBay and the like but the hoops are often found not to come with all of the brackets.

MGF Centre - Store - Hoops & Windstops
than I think the look really enhances the car and ks Chris, Mike Satur appears to be the leading manufacturer, slightly expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for! I think the look greatly enhances the car and keen to go ahead, but I might have to consider paying for it to be professionally fitted. What do you think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
than I think the look really enhances the car and ks Chris, Mike Satur appears to be the leading manufacturer, slightly expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for! I think the look greatly enhances the car and keen to go ahead, but I might have to consider paying for it to be professionally fitted. What do you think?
should have read, thanks Chris

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,093 Posts
In the case of Mike’s hoops I understand that the tricky part is the drilling the holes in the T-bar otherwise it is a relatively simple nut bolt job.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,093 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! I don't think Ive got that much patience, but well done you two. Are you pleased with the result and do they look as good as in the pics on the web site?
Cheers, Mick

·
Registered
592 Posts
The MGF Centre ones are not difficult to fit as they're just aesthetic. The Mike Satur ones are harder as they are proper roll hoops with a cross bracket and require drilling through the trim to install. Still doable as everything attaches to existing fitments, but some adjustment is required to accommodate the speaker bar if I recall. They are provided with full fitting instructions.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Easiest ones are the X-Power Mk1 hoops for fitting as you only need to remove the cover behind the seats (usually called the T-bar) and undo the seat belt bolts which is where the brackets fit...ok, you do have to cut the carpet which covers the engine access cover but that not too difficult. Only problem with the Mk1 hoops though is they sit behind the T-bar so if you have a glass screen you wouldn't e able to put the roof down...oh and you can't put the wind break down either. I've a set on one of my TF's which has a plastic window and wind break but never put the windbreak down on my other ones with the roll bars so never seen it as an issue :)

Forgot to add...the Mk1 hoops are actually classified as safety hoops and are alleged to be the only ones ever drop tested.

Also forgot, been a log time since I fitted mine...If I recall correctly you also have to remove the bolt for the hood as I think the brackets also clamp there :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! thanks dert for such a comprehensive reply, sounds as if your practical skills are far greater than mine! But it's given me food for thought and not sure whether its worth the £400ish expenditure, although I love my little car and making improvements to it. I've just replaced the heater knobs with solid alloy ones plus rings and its amazing the transformation little things like that make. This would be my biggest project and would like to hear from anyone who has gone for roll hoops to see if they feel it was worthwhile and pleased with the result.
Thanks again, Mick

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
There is an how to for fitting the Mk1 hoops MG X-Power Speedster Hoops If you go for these style hoops don't expect the longer bolts for going through the seat belt mounts, I've never seen them advertised with them and the standard ones are more than long enough anyway :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts