MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even if some Labour Ministers aren't the sharpest tools in the box, there's no shortage of smart people in the DTI which employs some of the smartest people money can buy, expensively schooled in Britains finest universities and cherry picked from thousands of hopeful applicants.

The performance of HMG during this fiasco has been SO inept it's hard to believe that all those smart people could've got things so wrong, almost as if they wanted things to go pear shaped to suit their own agenda.

Anyone who thinks 'meddling politicians' haven't been deeply involved with MGRs fortunes for years is very naive, after all, the leaks that helped to kick off all the recent lethal press speculation came from the DTI, the team in Shanghai was DTI -who invited them?- and any manufacturer as important to the economy as MGR is in regular contact with the DTI who SURELY after all the criticism piled on them when der Bavarians pulled out 5 yrs ago would not want to be caught with their trousers round their ankles for a second time! Especially with a National election looming.

If Labour steps in to save Longbridge they will be pilloried by the Tory press, The Guardian, the Beeb, the City, the Institute of Directors, et al, you name it, etc etc...
If they don't step in, the West Midlands economy will take a decade to recover and the great British public, who despite not choosing to drive Rovers' current offerings, on the whole still retains enough of an emotional link to our last great car maker to want its survival, will never forgive them. Neither will their financial supporters in the unions. It might even cost Labour their precious election.

You can be sure that there's enough of old Labour still around (G.Brown included) who see some merit in retaining manufacturing jobs - we can't ALL work in call centres or drive white vans (made in France, Germany or Italy) delivering TVs, dishwashers, tools, toys, furniture, fridges, you name it, all made by our foreign competitors, for a living.

After all if the Japs can have a cutting edge economy, pharmaceuticals, genetics, aerospace, electronics AND a bloody great car industry why can't we FFS?

So I don't know what HMGs agenda is, I can't believe that they didn't see this coming and I can't believe they stood and watched as this situation unravelled. I really hope we're not governed by such morons, so I do think something else is going on, Patricia Hewitts announcement being the final, calculated shove off the cliff for Rover cars.

Whether it's nationalization and they think they can finally save British car manufacturing, where Maggie & Co. failed, or something a bit more creative who knows. To manipulate this collapse on the eve of an election and then come to the rescue, be heroes, and win the election is too far fetched - MGR needs about a billion quid for that to work.
But it’s working for Railtrack – when was the last time we had a nasty, fatal train wreck in this country?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't an accident, Brian Drysdale made no attempt to move his car from the level crossing as the train approached...

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Continual governments have made no attempts at making smarter or safer level crossings - nor has the rail industry itself.

Indeed, I have a mate who works for AEA Railtech and some of the stuff he says inspires little confidence. He even told me that they were warning workers, etc., about that documentary about how unsafe the railways are.
But the railway problem is different to that of MGR so not a fair comparison.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts