MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im not sure if this is a real problem or not! I have noticed that when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal the revs hold for a second or so before dropping. This is making the car difficult to drive as when I make a quick gear change and re-engage the clutch, the revs are still quite high and the car lurches foward, surley this cant be right. I have also noted that it only does it when it has warmed up, from cold its fine. The car has only covered 1000 miles so it can't be something worn. Is something out of adjusment?

Any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine does exactly the same, just thought it was normal behaviour. My other KV6s have all been autos so I can't make a comparison. It took a bit of getting used to but I just live with it, in fact it kinda makes it better to drive if you're having a bit of a boy-racer moment, those gear changes-to-acceleration are much more instant.

Would be interesting to know if it is normal though! :dunno:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
shaun w said:
Hi all, Im not sure if this is a real problem or not! I have noticed that when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal the revs hold for a second or so before dropping. This is making the car difficult to drive as when I make a quick gear change and re-engage the clutch, the revs are still quite high and the car lurches foward, surley this cant be right. I have also noted that it only does it when it has warmed up, from cold its fine. The car has only covered 1000 miles so it can't be something worn. Is something out of adjusment?

Any ideas anybody?
Check the cable,make sure got 'freeplay'....

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
That can not be right ... From comments so far it appears widespread. If professionals have told you it is normal they must surely be wrong.

I suspect the throttle is slow to respond due to something in the mechanism somewhere sticking and thus failing to return immediately as surely for safety reasons alone it should.

I'd check for a sticking throttle valve or poor cable run or even a damaged throttle or cable. On my cars when I take my foot off the throttle pedal, I expect the throttle to shut immediately. Failure to do so could cause all kinds of problems, some of which could be dangerous... Braking vacuum springs to mind for one... and I don't want a couple of seconds continuing boost when I lift off to brake either... that's the last thing I need.

Surely what you are experiencing is wrong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts