MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revised Proton GEN-2 hits showrooms

Proton’s five door hatchback the GEN-2 has undergone a refresh for spring 2007 and is now sporting a new dark cloth or leather interior and new alloy wheels.

The GEN-2’s spacious cabin now offers drivers a new dark grey interior colour scheme extending to the seats, door inserts and a new darker dashboard and door trim. Customers wishing to add a touch of luxury can currently opt for black leather upholstery for free on all GEN-2 models.

The interior of the car, which was designed by the Lotus Design Studio, ensures customers do not have to sacrifice style and individuality for comfort and practicality. Its comfortable front seats with integrated headrests, driver foot rest and height adjustable seat is complemented by the unique vertically stacked heating controls and dashboard with integrated Blaupunkt radio/CD player. Rear passengers will find ample leg and head room plus adjustable headrests and rear electric windows in GSX models. Providing practicality when space is needed there are 60:40 split folding rear seats leading to a boot capacity of 850 litres with the seats down.

Entertainment is provided by an integrated Blaupunkt radio/CD player with RDS and a four way speaker system. Also available as standard across the range are steering wheel mounted audio controls. A Bluetooth hands-free kit which works through the audio system can also be fitted as an accessory.

Keeping cool in the summer or de-icing the car during the winter months are not a problem in the GEN-2, as air conditioning with pollen filter is standard on the GLS models, and climate control with pollen filter standard on the GSX range.

The GEN-2 comes with a choice of 1.3 or 1.6 litre Lotus engineered CamPro engine which delivers a maximum output of 110bhp and 148Nm of torque. To support this, an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution is standard along with side impact bars, crumple zones and anti-roll bar. Reverse distance sensors and power assisted steering on all GEN-2 models also help to deliver a stress-free drive.

While away from the car, an engine immobiliser, alarm with ignition lock protection and remote central locking will all add to the peace of mind motoring. All Proton vehicles including the GEN-2 have a 6 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 3 year/ 60,000 mile total vehicle warranty and three years’ free RAC cover.

Add to this the benefit of Lotus engineered handling and the sleek exterior design which includes new alloy wheels and the GEN-2 is hard to resist, with prices starting at just £8,995 OTR.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Thank God they've got shot of that awful beige colour scheme. I bet the interior's just as flaky as before though.

And where's the sports models they get in Malaysia? Proton were half way to building a sporty reputation and have nothing since to maintain the momentum.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Look like Lotus have made the best of a bad job on the inside. Proton should let Lotus design the entire car next time and give them the budget they need.

Btw is anyone still trying to buy Proton?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Look like Lotus have made the best of a bad job on the inside. Proton should let Lotus design the entire car next time and give them the budget they need.

Btw is anyone still trying to buy Proton?
Well as far as I know VW were interested, but it seems the negotiations are painfully slow, as is the media reaction.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Looks like GM are after them:

GENERAL Motors, the largest US car maker, is still in talks about investing in unprofitable car maker Proton Holdings almost seven weeks after the Malaysian Government's deadline for a decision passed.

"GM is still interested and talks continue," spokesman Rob Leggat said in an emailed response to Bloomberg News questions. The talks are "preliminary", he added.

Proton spokeswoman Faridah Idris declined to comment.

Proton needs new technology and designs to compete, as it is losing market share to rivals including Toyota. Malaysia's Government, also in talks with Volkswagen, had aimed to pick a partner before April. It hasn't given a reason for the delay.

"The future of Proton will depend on a foreign partner, as it no longer has a competitive pricing edge," said Ang Kok Heng, of Phillip Capital Management, Kuala Lumpur. GM might "try to use Malaysia as a regional base" for exports, he said.

Volkswagen had "nothing new" to say about the negotiations, spokesman Andreas Meurer said in a mobile phone text message.

Proton shares fell 1.8 per cent to 5.50 ringgit ($1.96) at 12.24pm on Friday. The stock has fallen 17 per cent this year.

Proton's domestic market share has slumped to about a third this year from two-thirds during the 1980s. In February the company reported its biggest quarterly loss in at least eight years. Its cash on hand has fallen 66 per cent over a year to 412 million ringgit by December 31.

"So long as there is interest from foreign parties, there's still hope for Proton," said Kenny Yee, head of research at OSK Research, in Kuala Lumpur. The deadline may have been missed because of disagreement over the price, he added.

GM last year added Malaysia to a list of 11 emerging market countries where it is trying to increase sales. It sold 55 per cent of its cars and trucks outside of the US last year. It only sold 991 in Malaysia.

Malaysia's Government controls Proton through a 43 per cent stake held by investment arm Khazanah Nasional. The car maker was created in 1983 by the then prime minister Mahathir Mohamad. It ended an alliance with Mitsubishi in 2004.

The Government prefers a foreign partner for Proton to allow it to access the latest technology, the official Bernama news agency said on Monday, citing Finance Ministry Parliamentary Secretary Hilmi Yahaya.

Talks between Volkswagen, Europe's largest car maker, and Proton, broke down in March amid "significant differences of opinion", Edge Weekly said on April 1, citing unidentified people.

Source: Bloomberg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
They will partner maybe but I can see them selling out, eastern manufacturers/governments seem to have morals about selling their home companies off. :dddc:

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
If GM get them then I suspect Lotus will be up for grabs. I wonder if Aston Martin fancy buying them....
I would expect Lotus to be the icing on the cake for GM - the companies hve a long association and aLotus still does development work for them. It may be very beneficial for GM to have Lotus in-house.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I would expect Lotus to be the icing on the cake for GM - the companies hve a long association and aLotus still does development work for them. It may be very beneficial for GM to have Lotus in-house.
Yes but GM have sold Lotus once already!

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know, I have only ever seen 2 or 3 GEN-2s on the road. Where do they hide them?

I really liked them and was considering getting a second hand one a year or two old.

Went for the ZR mk2 instead

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
They remind me of the Kia Rio (first one, and not for looks just for concept) which looked like a old civic 3dr, its the same kind of dodge idea. Maybe gen3 or gen4 will be good. Its like the test car before the real one arrives, have to say though i have never sat in one so shouldnt comment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You know, I have only ever seen 2 or 3 GEN-2s on the road. Where do they hide them?

I really liked them and was considering getting a second hand one a year or two old.

Went for the ZR mk2 instead
Your joking about thinking of getting one of those "grandad mobiles" though arent you!
Their values drop like a rock, they look awful and are built like a Lada!!! Im just glad you saw sense in the end!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts