MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT NOTE :

First off neither I or anyone from mg-rover.org (I'm sure) would condone downloading software from torrent or P2P sites or using software that you have not purchased or do not own - please do not ask me or any one else where you can get software from or in this thread. As it would be a shame to see this removed (Admin please contact me if you feel you want anything changed)

Only use your own copy of TomTom if you would like to try this, if not why not buy a copy?

Also I am a trained monkey and have tinkered with computers, electronics and equipment which costs the price of a nice cottage by the sea for a long time. If you are into things working straight away, don't bother, if your up for a giggle - give it a go !!!

Sometimes I have broken things, Sometimes I have made beautiful things happen - this is one of them. I take no responsibility if you balls it up !!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I decided enough was enough and I was gonna buy a Sat Nav to replace the Palm and Bluetooth dongle I've been using for the last 2 years mainly due to fact that I have to charge it very often and having masses of cables running around the car has been a pain.

Having used TomTom on the Palm for ages I wanted to keep using it and a good replacement was the TomTom one. A simple Nav with no extras for my weekend drives. So last night I headed off down the shopping centre and had a week look. Having researched prices I knew that the cheapest I would get a TomTom one would be £159. Halfords, PC World were a shocking £179.99.

So I thought I'd try Currys and see if anything was on special, funnily enough they had the TomTom one at £179... however the girl at the desk said she would do it for £159 as that was the price on their website. However right beside it they had one of these...

P1000749b.jpg

Say hello to the Medion GoPal PNA210T !

Priced at £79.99 it's not a bad wee device, had a play about in the shop with it and it seemed very good. Another nicety (for me) is that not only does it run on a ciggy charger but also household AA batteries, no manufacturers only sealed batteries here.

I was unsure, the place was shutting in 10 minutes, I was holding the last one in the shop and still the TomTom was winking at me then I see something on the box, under the specifications it said...

WINDOWS CE 4.2

Hold on a minute this bugger runs WINDOWS, I bet it's hackable ! As the lights in the store were turning off I looked away from the TomTom one and handed over my switch card.

Back home and after a quick google, i find everyone on the net is talking about how to overcome the Medion boot-up and run your own software on it, MP3 Players, Picture Viewers and other manufacturers Nav software - anything that runs on Windows CE this will happly do.

I followed the easy instructions of how to bring up the Windows CE desktop and startbar from GPSForums and low and behold I was able to get to a windows CE desktop, change the background and then the fun began.

P1000743b.jpg

...and would you believe it...

P1000747b.jpg

hehe ! So I've got a TomTom in my car for half the price and had some fun in the process (wheres the fun in just opening the box) Chuffed to bits ! Even in it's standard form PNA 210t is a good buy, noticed tonight PC World is doing it for £99.99.

Final Thoughts...

Pros :

I think the AA batteries is a great selling point as if it ever runs down, you can nip into a petrol station and get some more. The maps are from Navtec, who supply alot of maps to Sat Nav makers. These are easily available from their website and it has a SD slot for future upgrades, etc. The window mount is fantastic no shakes or bumps and is one of the best i've ever seen - all though the actual mount which holds the PNA 210T looks like it could be a wee bit fragile, I'm sure if treated with care it will be fine for it's life.

Also a TMC (traffic master) adapter is available and plugs into the USB socket at the bottom, which you never see on many cheaper models, the PNA 210T has a speed camera database which is a monthly subscription of £10, an external GPS Ant. adpater and a Headphone socket is also included on the bottom - see cons!

Cons.

The screen is not huge but I wasn't looking for a Cinema Display in the car, you get a small stylus which fits neatly and handly into the windscreen mount for selections which may be too small but most things are do-able with your finger apart from selections close to the edges. The only let down is the speaker which is the size of a penny ! Even with the software volume at it's highest point Voice directions were a little bit low for me with the radio on and also I'm a bit deaf. Funnily enough upon doing the boot up hack I found that the volume within the Windows CE operating system was set at 70% and boosting this to 100% did help. However I noticed within TomTom the voices were a good bit louder and clearer than using the included Navigator ME software and nearly on par with my Palm. You could of course wire a 3.5 headphone jack into your speakers and have any voice alerts announced through them.

However a Fantastic little device, worth the money! Also is the right size to be fitted into the dash - I'll tip my hat to anyone who can make this look like an OEM fitted sat nav, touch screen mp3 player in your car.

If anyone is interested in how to make the Medion run your own software, its freely available by doing a google or by visting the GPSforums. As I said I wont tell you that you can get various forms of software from file sharing sites like Limewire or the Pirate Bay and I won't tell you that it will probably take about a couple of hours to come down - so please dont ask !

Good Luck !

>AF

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Funnily enough ive just been playing with two of TomToms offerings in the form of a TomTom One V2 and a TomTom Go 300

There is available a video player for most if not all of TomToms sat nav devices. It costs £20 to download the software and it really does work !

You will need to buy a bigger SD memory card, make a backup of your exisintg card then add the video player to you new card.

As far as im aware this is a perfectly legal piece of software.

Its not as versatile as the OP's device but if youve already got a TomTom then this is a very worthy addition IMO.

See this website for more info:
http://www.realprices.nl/MobilNova/en/About.php?PHPSESSID=5f3a09566b93489a922d68a0ff5714a2

·
Registered
772 Posts
Very interesting :) So say if you were to install the TomTom software would it boot straight into the TomTom software or would it boot to windows and then you have to select the software to run? Excuse me if that sounds daft but I'm not really clued up on sat navs.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Very interesting :) So say if you were to install the TomTom software would it boot straight into the TomTom software or would it boot to windows and then you have to select the software to run? Excuse me if that sounds daft but I'm not really clued up on sat navs.
Good question. I think I'd prefer it to boot into windows first and then you can decide what you want it to do, e.g MP3 player etc

I've been looking round for a sat nav recently. Could you PM me with a bit more about it please :)

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In regards to booting up, you can decide what you want it to do really. You can add things to the startup folder like you can in XP.

At the moment I have a shortcut on the desktop for TomTom and Navigator ME and click which I want to start, you can then exit or goto the startbar which hides on the bottom and return to the desktop. In a strange way these devices actually never completely turn off, they goto sleep so they don't really boot up everytime rather they just turn on., think like an ipod.

I think having the shortcuts for everything on the desktop and you just push them is the way to go, i.e. - One for Navigator ME, one for TomTom, one for a video player (check our VLC, if you havent got this for you PC or Mac, get it ! It will play anything and is free) and one for an MP3 player.

If it works on a PPC it should work on this, there is an endless list of software out there for PPC & Windows CE devices

The PocketGPSforums (sorry I thought it was called GPSforums) is where to start...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=106

...its full of information as many people have tried this all before me, if your thinking it - someone's already done it... so head there first.

It's early days but I've took it out for a drive and it's all working for me and I'm very happy however I like to tinker and get a bargain and don't mind taking some time to get something to work. However a lot of people either don't have the patience, time or want to do things like this as I said if you know your where round a getting things to work on a PC you will be fine, if you have trouble installing a USB mouse, walk away... ;)

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Sounds like what I'm looking for :broon:

I'm an IT techie and I've got the XDA Mini S as my current phone. I thought about using TomTom on that but decided I wanted something that could be built into the car more permanently.

Does it have the capability to connect to another PC? I'm thinking of a bootbuild PC that this could be connected to for DVDs, MP3s etc. I don't think wireless would be the best way to go incar but it could always be a possibility :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds brilliant. It's a bargain for 80 quid in any case! I was thinking of getting a smartphone with gps there doesn't seem much point now after reading this. I might just have to pop into currys this weekend :broon:

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer the PM's...

It has 256 Mb in-built Memory and yes it has a MMC / SD card slot so you can add more ;)

Best!
Alistair,

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like what I'm looking for :broon:

I'm an IT techie and I've got the XDA Mini S as my current phone. I thought about using TomTom on that but decided I wanted something that could be built into the car more permanently.

Does it have the capability to connect to another PC? I'm thinking of a bootbuild PC that this could be connected to for DVDs, MP3s etc. I don't think wireless would be the best way to go incar but it could always be a possibility :)
It also uses Active Sync for uploads and downloads which you will be used too.

The easiest way to get a screen in the front of the car for a bootbuild is to look at the little LCD's maplins are doing at the moment. As they are very cheap and include things like freeview and VGA connectors, TXing anything over wireless looks crap (even the expensive ones) and in the car moving about through pockets of interference will be dire on the picture quality, better to run a long VGA cable... trust me !

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a look at one in currys today but I thought the screen was a little on the small side, I think its put me off it to be honest. Is there any other cheapish sat nav unit that has similar features but with a 3.5" screen?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm guessing this unit will fit nicely in the storage bay under the radio in the mk2 ZR. Would be a nice little jobby if it fits there. I have an iPaq pocket PC which I use for gps and it is annoying to have to have it and an external gps receiver with all the power wires and what not.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm guessing this unit will fit nicely in the storage bay under the radio in the mk2 ZR. Would be a nice little jobby if it fits there. I have an iPaq pocket PC which I use for gps and it is annoying to have to have it and an external gps receiver with all the power wires and what not.
It probably would, but I'd check the signal strength if you're thinking of sticking it under there.

Rich.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If anyone's interested I've done a little research and the 210's bigger brother the 460 with 4.3" screen has the same features and is able to be unlocked just like the 210. Best of all the Medion GoPal PNA460 can be had for £129 direct from medion on special offer at the moment.

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone's interested I've done a little research and the 210's bigger brother the 460 with 4.3" screen has the same features and is able to be unlocked just like the 210. Best of all the Medion GoPal PNA460 can be had for £129 direct from medion on special offer at the moment.
Funnily enough the 205 is available from tescos at £99.99, seen it tonight ! and it has a larger screen that the 210 but of course a larger body too but the same kinda shape.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-8191.aspx

Was a bit annoyed I missed out on one with a larger screen when I seen the one in tesco however i like that the 210 is definately
pocket sized - came in handy tonight when we were jumping in and out viewing flats.

...for the first time in my life i'm pleased to say that "I'm happy I've got a little one !"

Also both will fit in the middle of the dash under the heating controls with no problem and there is an plug for an external adapter to add to the dash if the signal is patchy, I'd pop mine there if I didn't already have the revo there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It says on tescos that the 205 has a 2.8" screen, doesn't the 210 have the same size screen?

I tried to order a 460 today and typically my luck that the price had gone back up to £179! I still had the page loaded from yesterday and it was still showing in the cart for £129 so I tried to go through with it like that but it still ended up back to £179. I thought I had found a bargain there!

·
Registered
mgf
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looked mighty bigger in the shop when I held them together even the other party had a look and she said it was bigger in a "Why are you looking at more gadgets" voice...

I had noticed that the 460 was £129 looked a good buy that - pity you missed out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts