MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Reverse Gear Crunch!

Hmmmm I know the problem you are talking about Nick, but I'm not aware of a fix from Techspeed. If a fix were indeed possible, why haven't MGR done anything yet? This 'design characteristic' has been with this gearbox since inception.

The PG1 gearbox fitted to MG ZR/ZS/25/45 models now has a synchro device on reverse gear (which the R65(U)) gearbox lacks.
Partial engagement of 4th gear when selecting reverse gear, slows/synchronises the various shafts/gears and provides a crunch free change....It works too!

It might be worth checking the clutch is not dragging - this would aggrevate the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told at the time that it did what you said. it was like a fork thing that slowed the reverse gear change down and partially engaged 4th gear...

MGR prob haven't done anything as it will most likely be sorted on the new MGTF and the old models arent important :eyes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.